ceramic dome fixture

dariceboij

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando,FL
I recently purchased a zoo med deep dome lamp with a powersun on the way. I noticed that people mentioned purchasing them at home depot or WalMart however upon searching for them I could not find them. It wasn't until after my zoomed fixture arrived that I saw a thread calling them clamp lights. Lo and behold I found them for half the price of the zoomed one. My question is should I stick with the zoomed brand or go with the home depot brand?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The Home Depot ones work as long as the dome is metal and the part the bulb screws into is a ceramic socket

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Also remember that the clamps fail a lot so if you use a clamp type light you need to reinforce the clamps with zip ties or something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as you've already bought it, use it. If you ever have to buy another one, buy from a home improvement store (and remove the clamp)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use the 11 inch aluminum dome what's a ceramic base from the feed store. You find it in the chicken section. I hang them from A lampstand instead of using the clamp, I don't trust the clamp.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If the Home Depot ones fit the bill then there nothing wrong with them. I've not found one at Home Depot that had a ceramic socket on it. If you find one then buy it, it will work. Mine are all zoo Med and flukers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would return the ZooMed one. Those deep domes can overheat MVBs. If your expensive MVB burns out early, you will know why.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, right. I missed the "deep dome" feature. What you want is a wide bell shape with a ceramic base, like this:

clamp light.jpg

I buy these at Tractor Supply. They're in the baby chick department.

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
thanks everyone I will be making a run to home depot shortly. Would the zoo med brand lamp stand be sufficient?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. I love that lamp stand. Quite the handy invention. If you haven't bought it yet, I prefer the larger size of the two, but the smaller one is ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get the same fixture that Yvonne posted from Home Depot. You don't need the little bulb protector wire things. I remove those. ANd never trust that clamp to hold your bulb.

The ZooMed lamp stand work quite well.