CDTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cayucos California
Not sure what to do. I have 2 CDTs and they almost 3 years old. They have not spent the night outside as of yet. But on warm sunny days they stay outside in a kiddy pool and then I bring them in for the night. Right now they are very sleepy and lazy and have not come out of their hide to eat today. They did eat yesterday but not as much as they usually do. They have not brumated yet. Should I not feed them, soak them and put them each in their on box or keep doing what I'm doing right now till next year? They did eat last night and were active after they ate then I put them to bed. Thanks for any advice.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I have one SDT that I keep outside all year round, and 4 baby SDTs that I mostly have inside but let out on nice days. Where are you located? They could just be preparing for hibernation. My tort that is outside constantly is going into hibernation as we speak. He barely comes out and almost never eats. Are you trying to get them to hibernate? Perhaps they are to cold/hot?
Hoped this helped!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Since you are so close to the cool/cold/wet months and these little ones have not spent nights outdoors---I personally would not do that just at this time.

I don't believe a full year of seasons have gone past since you have had them? I would over winter them this year and make this extra time valuable in their diet and hydration...this way when spring pops back in you can begin to let them be outside full time (easing them into it over a few weeks) including evenings once the nights are warm...and your goal then can be sure to do all that will give them a successful brumation next year.

You may need to this year follow a strict routine of light/heat and bothering them a few times per day to assure that they move about and not just go into sloth mode....lol...it may be a tiring task, but well worth it come next winter....I know some folks say to keep lights on and keep temps up and the tort will never know the diffs....well, I have seen otherwise...so be prepared to a winter in keeping them up....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I might be saying the same thing as Ascott.

Warm your babies up. Make them think the days are at least 14 hours long and it's nice and warm day and night.

After your babies are big enough to live outside 24/7 and they have been able to acclimate to the changing seasons, then that's the winter that you can feel safe in allowing them to brumate.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
ascott said:
Since you are so close to the cool/cold/wet months and these little ones have not spent nights outdoors---I personally would not do that just at this time.

I don't believe a full year of seasons have gone past since you have had them? I would over winter them this year and make this extra time valuable in their diet and hydration...this way when spring pops back in you can begin to let them be outside full time (easing them into it over a few weeks) including evenings once the nights are warm...and your goal then can be sure to do all that will give them a successful brumation next year.

You may need to this year follow a strict routine of light/heat and bothering them a few times per day to assure that they move about and not just go into sloth mode....lol...it may be a tiring task, but well worth it come next winter....I know some folks say to keep lights on and keep temps up and the tort will never know the diffs....well, I have seen otherwise...so be prepared to a winter in keeping them up....:D

Yes my CDTs have not spent the night yet outside only warm days. I bring them in every night. My plan is to get them outside this next spring. My youngest son has CF and it just didn't work out for me to get them outside this past spring. They are out today as it is sunny and warm. I continue to feed and soak them and will ug them to keep them awake. Anything else that I need to be doing? Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.