Cantaloupe/melon vine

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I know that the leaves and blooms off squash vines are safe to feed as part of varied diet but I was wondering about the leaves and blooms from cantaloupe? I have some growing, chemical free so I thought if it was safe I would take advantage of it. Figured I would ask about the other melons while I was at it. Like honey dew, watermelon, etc.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Yes, they are absolutely edible. My tortoise has eaten the vines many times. We have been talking about it at length on another thread that is currently on this thread page. I even posted photos of my tortoise snacking on the vines. Please check out the thread and join in :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/watermelon.128026/
Thanks!
Now see, I even did a search on the subject first before I posted the question cause I didn't want a repeat thread but I put in cantaloupe instead of watermelon so it didn't pull up anything.
I don't really put "garden" stuff out but my neighbors do and they love giving me stuff for my "turtles" and I knew squash was ok but wasn't sure about the cantaloupe.
This whole figuring out if this plant or that plant is edible is a difficult issue with me. I'm all about educating myself, but I don't even know where to start with that. Is there a website or some other resources that I could research that can teach me to figure these things out? Like I have many many list of edible plants but I have found some list will list one item as edible and another list says not to eat, how can I figure that out for myself. Is there certain things I should look for in a plant that will tell me? Can I assume if plant A isnt edible then nothing in that family of plants is edible?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I grow various squash and melon plants to feed them the leaves and flowers of

Prairie Mom

Thanks!
Now see, I even did a search on the subject first before I posted the question cause I didn't want a repeat thread but I put in cantaloupe instead of watermelon so it didn't pull up anything.
I don't really put "garden" stuff out but my neighbors do and they love giving me stuff for my "turtles" and I knew squash was ok but wasn't sure about the cantaloupe.
This whole figuring out if this plant or that plant is edible is a difficult issue with me. I'm all about educating myself, but I don't even know where to start with that. Is there a website or some other resources that I could research that can teach me to figure these things out? Like I have many many list of edible plants but I have found some list will list one item as edible and another list says not to eat, how can I figure that out for myself. Is there certain things I should look for in a plant that will tell me? Can I assume if plant A isnt edible then nothing in that family of plants is edible?
I totally understand.:) There was no way you could have caught the other thread unless you had been reading it to begin with, so please don't worry about it.

I understand the issues with learning edible plants. A lot of people use the UK website the tortoise table as a quick tortoise safe edible reference tool... http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
This website is really handy, but can occasionally be overly cautious (not a bad thing) and doesn't list EVERYTHING. Just keep doing exactly what you're doing. Use the tortoise table, google, and ask away here on the forum if others have tried. Never feel bad asking:)