Bitter melon / Balsam apple

AnimalLady

This is a wild growing vine in Florida. This vine is ALL OVER my fence. I removed it from the area of my tort because im not sure about it. I tried looking it up @ Tortoisetable and wasnt able to find anything.

Do any of you know if this is ok for the tort to eat? I have so much of it, it would be great.

I'm in the process of identifying weeds in my yard that are safe for the little booger. So far, I have prickly pear cactus. I bought Hibiscus to plant and grow from seeds and I think I also have dandelion seeds.

I have some Hibiscus here at work, are the leaves and flower safe?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/125

Those are two different species in one genus. I see the vine sold in Farmers markets here and many people buy it to eat. I ate some too, the leafy part, and bitter is a good description. The tortoises showed no high preference for it. @keepergale might have a share, I think he tried it out too.

Will

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
plants on commercial property ie. businesses are usually treated with pesticides and fertilizers avoid avoid avoid. in case I wasn't clear avoid :)

AnimalLady

The vine is very bitter, ive been told its used to make tea and its good for your blood?

dmmj,
Yes, I agree with that statement.. but, this specific plant is mine. I brought it a LONG time ago and I am the only one who cares for it. Its right outside my office in a huge pot. So i'm pretty sure nothing gets sprayed on it. Thank you though!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I have this plant that grows in a spot in the yard, I threw old decorative halloween pumpkins over there a few years ago and this smelly melon plant comes up every year.... Did I mention the oh so pleasant aroma that this entire bitter melon plants emits? It's like the smell of... really really old laundry, probably from a gym. never have fed it to the torts, I do remember reading that it was indeed edible buuuut, it just smells so friggin awful, lol.

AnimalLady

YES, it smells like crap! I HATE IT. Luckily its to the back of my property and it works VERY well as a privacy type vine thing.