Cantaloupe leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know if cantaloupe leaves are ok for Hermann's tortoises to eat? (I know the FRUIT is definitely NOT ok).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And a piece of cantaloupe from time to time would do wonders for your torts spirit and certainly would not do harm to his body as a treat.....it is not the forbidden fruit...lol :p

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont see why you couldnt. I feed them to my sulcata and redfoot. In moderation..

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks for the feedback!

I have read more than once that Hermann's torts are strictly broad-leafed weed eaters and that the sugar content in fruits is too much for their systems to handle comfortably- it causes bacterial overgrowth (which certainly sounds bad!).

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
All mellon, squash, and cucumber leaves, flowers, and fruit/vegetable are acceptable food items. The fruit grown today versus the historic produce is very high in sugar, so the advice to keep fruit to a minimum is wise. But all these kinds of plants are excellent foder. Large tortoises will come across a vine such as these and just eat it from one end to another consuming a multi-meter length of vine. Now that's looooong fiber. The seeds provide substrate for gut transmission, at least for larger individuals.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.