Melon plant leaves & flowers safe?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, all! Just wondering if the flowers and leaves of the following are safe, for Hermann's torts?

Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Honeydew
Zucchini
Cucumbers

Thanks!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Turtlepete

South Florida
If you are meaning safe in that it's ok to grow them in the enclosure, absolutely. I can't say I would really waste time feeding them as part of the tortoises' actual diet though.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The leaves were good for tortoises (thats what I remember). I currently have melon, cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, and parsley seeds. I have 3 mulberry plant, 1 opuntia cactus, purslane, and dandelion growing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know about the melon leaves, but all of the squash leaves and blooms are great tortoise food, and can offer good shade at the same time in an outdoor pen. I grow pumpkin, cuc, yellow squash, zuch, and a bunch of others just for the leaves to feed out. I also plant them heavily in hatchling sunning enclosures because it holds in humidity, offers great shade and shelter and they can eat all they want.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
The leaves were good for tortoises (thats what I remember). I currently have melon, cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, and parsley seeds. I have 3 mulberry plant, 1 opuntia cactus, purslane, and dandelion growing!
Sounds like you're all set for winter. I collected a few seeds (plantains, dandelion, mallow) and will be potting some of my garden plants. I have a few pansies, iceplants, coleuses, and mallow.

May

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know about the melon leaves, but all of the squash leaves and blooms are great tortoise food, and can offer good shade at the same time in an outdoor pen. I grow pumpkin, cuc, yellow squash, zuch, and a bunch of others just for the leaves to feed out. I also plant them heavily in hatchling sunning enclosures because it holds in humidity, offers great shade and shelter and they can eat all they want.
Good to know! Thank you! I'm planning for winter and thought I'd try cantaloupe.

May

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Sounds like you're all set for winter. I collected a few seeds (plantains, dandelion, mallow) and will be potting some of my garden plants. I have a few pansies, iceplants, coleuses, and mallow.

May
What winter? Plants thrive in our winter :) Not kidding. Winter here is very pleasant. I have never ever seen freezing temps in the city I live in, it reaches freezing on top of the mountain :p