Cant get my russian to eat

Sig5005

i have new to me russian tort that i bought from pet supplies plus i have a uvb light and a heat light its staying about 90 degrees F in his enclosure which has coco and small mulch mixture. I've dried a few types of lettuces and he didn't nibble and I've tried a grassland tortoise food i bought its been 4 days and he won't eat
any suggestions would be welcome.

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Yes, soak him in a warm bath for 20-30 minutes. And try some fresh weeds from outside. Not sure where you are, but here, the clover is growing, dandelions, wild violets, plantain. Just make sure they haven't been treated with any chemicals at all. If that won't work, then try some mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, organic spring mix. If you find the tortoise table link on here, it will tell you what weeds and flowers are safe to feed. Maybe someone will post the link here for you.....I totally don't know how to do that.

Are you soaking the pellet food? Most like it soaked and soft instead of dry. A lot of torts seem to LOVE zucchini.....it's not a staple food by any means, but you might try it to see if it will get him stimulated to eat.

Sig5005

I do soak the pellet food and I've tried collard greens and a type of lettuce. i have soaked him also before and he has water in his enclosure. i live in north east ohio so no fresh weeds to speak of yet it just started to get warm.

Sig5005

heres the uvb bulb i use

IMG_1338.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those compact fluorescent bulbs have been known to cause pain in the tortoise's eyes. I wouldn't use it. You can either use the tube type or the Mercury Vapor bulb, like these:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

It sometimes takes a bit of time, maybe even a couple weeks, for a new-to-you tortoise to settle in and start eating. In the mean time, read the care sheet for Russians that we have pinned at the top of our russian section here on the Forum, and make tweaks and adjustments to the way you have him set up.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Keep offering good variety of foods, read the care guides referenced above, and tweak whatever you need to. He will settle in and eat when he adjusts and gets hungry. Good luck.

Sig5005

ok will it encourage him to eat if i change to the mercury bulb? and would handling him more or less help?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If he's not eating because he is upset about the lights or temps or whatever, I would also keep the touching to a minimum.
When you give him a soak, does he drink?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would limit handling to caring for him for a week or so. Soak him every other day. Mine enjoy soaks at 92F to 95F.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try dandelions, radicchio, endive and just keep offering it fresh. I feed mine a about 9 am after their heat lamp has been on for 2 hours to warm them up.

Good luck.

Sig5005

idk if he drinks or not when i soak him the last i soaked him he didn't really want to pop his head out for a bit so maybe then