Can't decide what wattage to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Ok, i'm trying to shop for some bulbs for my new arrival tomorrow and I just can't decide. The pet stores are rediculously expensive so i'm ordering off Amazon.

I'm thinking about ordering the Powersun Mercury Vapor 100W for daytime and a 60W CHE for night time.

The enclosure is a 110qt plastic container (approx 36L x 18W x 16 H)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There are so many elements that will be at play here, such as the temperature you keep your house out, level of humidity, etc...so it's hard to say if that will be enough. I usually start with the lowest wattage bulbs, let them run for a few days, and see if they keep the temperatures where I want them to be. If not I will adjust accordingly.

Sounds like you did get the lowest wattage for those types of bulbs. So when you get them I would suggest what I do and let it run for a few days. If you can't get the temperatures where you need them by adjusting the height of the bulbs at a safe distance from your tortoise, you'll need to consider a higher wattage if things are too cool or an alternate type of heating if temperatures are too high.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Neal, I'm gonna monitor temps on both sides of the container and nighttime temps until I am positive that they will stay where I want them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see your getting a leopard. Good choice. Congrats. If you haven't check out the threads at the bottom of my post. Great for raising a smooth leopard.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks, and don't worry, i've read through them thoroughly.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would get a larger wattage che and a lamp dimmer, getting a 60 watt limits the heat output to 60 watts and a lot of times that is not enough for tortoises, but if you get at least a 150 watt you can regulate the temps up and down,using something as simple as a lamp dimmer, I get the dimmers from Lowes, the are rated to 600 watts and cost less than $10. I have a 60 watt che and wish it would put out more heat.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
True, i already bought it but if it isnt ennough ill get a bigger one.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have a CHE that is 75watts. When it is placed on top of my 40gal zilla tank (16" height) the temperature beneath the CHE averages 91-93! Keep in mind that the room temperature itself was no less than 80degrees. I include this info just to give you an idea of how a low wattage CHE can still make things pretty warm if the room is warm to begin with. I'm sure if the room temps are lower it will affect the CHE temp reading.
Neal makes a great point..start low and increase wattage if necessary. I originally ordered a 150 watt and am so glad i cancelled and went with 75 instead..

EKLC

5 Year Member
You're going to have to be very careful with overheating. That MVB could very easily make the whole enclosure 90-100 degrees in the wrong conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.