Can you use turf ?

Mammyjuls

Hi can you use turf in tortise enclouser for flooring 8nsead of coco coir or bark ???

It might seam like silly question but one one in one of the reptile shores said that I could but never heard of this so asking first ???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What do,you mean by turf? The fake stuff the pet stores sell and would recommend, because they don't know better or are you talking real turf, like the grass roles we put in our yards? Fake turf no, real live turf yes.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well let me tell you a true story . I had a great male leopard he wasn't eating so I took him to the vet . The vet looked him over and said I would have to leave him over night cause he had a piece of plastic blocking his digestion . The vet would do surgery the next day and I would have to give him tube feeding and it would cost $1200.00 so the next day I came to pick him up , the Dr . Said the tort died during the night . But I still would have to pay the$1200.00 . So look what a small piece of plastic cost me . And that fake plastic is what that cheep turf is made out of . Oh by the way the male cost $500.00 . So please stay away from plastic .

Mammyjuls

What do,you mean by turf? The fake stuff the pet stores sell and would recommend, because they don't know better or are you talking real turf, like the grass roles we put in our yards? Fake turf no, real live turf yes.
I am talking about the real live turf not fake I know you can not use fake turf

Mammyjuls

No I am not talking about fake turf I am talking about live turf like what we would but in our garden so that kind of turf would not have plastic in or on it

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some of it is grown in plastic cloth and fertilized. So I'd say no . Not without knowing what they put in it .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some turf has plastic mesh in it to hold it together. A long time ago I bought a couple rolls of fescue turf and laid it down in the leopard tortoise yard. After a year or so the plastic mesh started to come up above ground. It was quite dangerous because a tortoise could have gotten a leg or even its neck through one of the loops and if he turned around the loop may have cut off circulation, causing amputation. So I had to dig it all out.

I would find out first before you buy if there is plastic mesh in the turf.

Mammyjuls

Ok I could ask first but if they don't now thwn will not buy it thank you as I did not know that

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I am talking about the real live turf not fake I know you can not use fake turf
Remember real turf is very well feed to grow fast . And the growers don't want bugs to eat the sod before they can sell it . Torts are a lot of work and fast don't mean easy . Sorry :)