Tortoise recovery advice

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to ask a quick question: Yoshi my tortoise has been slowly recovering since he ate three stones (all now digested). He has had a few vet visits and is now a bit annoyed at me (for obvious reasons!). He has started eating, but his habits are odd. He hasn’t had two consecutive days eating, he’s being pickier than usual (it’s pumpkin season and he can’t even be bothered!), and he’s spending a lot of his days sleeping. He also isn’t really waking up by himself: I need to wake him. But when he does decide to eat he’s hungry he’ll devour whatever seems tasty at the time!

Do you have any advice? Thank you so much!

🐢

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I think he just needs more time. If he eats at all - hurrah! He had big stressors. If he's anything like me, he wants some privacy and no physicians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just an FYI, stones don't get digested. They pass right on through the digestive tract and out the cloaca just like they went in. . . still stones. Have you had another X-ray that shows no stones?

Yoshi may be thinking about brumation.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Yes! I made sure to follow up with the vet to make sure all the stones had passed. He had a X-ray to confirm. At that stage, because he wasn’t eating, the vet also gave him an injection of antibiotics. Poor little Yoshi wasn’t too happy! So he’s definitely had a lot of stress. 💔