Can someone tell me what you think of this leo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
Hello everyone :)
Falling head over heels for my little leo I've decided to add another to the home, I got a reply from an ad I posted with this Leo..

They are asking $200 for a 2 year old and than shipping, sent me 2 pictures, I'm no expert (yet lol ;) ) is this the beginning of shell pyramiding (he's the big one in the pics) or is this normal bumps?, the newspaper is a little dirty which pulls at my heart strings but I wanted to get a second opinion before I commit to anything.. I'm completely obsessed with my little one and keeping him healthy and his shell in good shape, but to be honest I've never seen a 2 year old leo, the pics I've googled are of hatchlings or full grown. Your input is much appreciated, I'm a Leo Newbie! Thanks guys!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The two tortoises (at 10 o'clock and at midnight) show quite a bit of pyramiding started. Some of us think that once it has started, even if you fix the habitat to ideal conditions, the pyramiding will continue throughout that first year and maybe even through the second year. Since you are to be getting a 2 year old, you might be able to stop the pyramiding if you set him up correctly from the get go.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Thanks for the reply :) Like I said I'm a newb but the shell did look like it was pyramiding, from all the reading I've done, great! now I feel like I have to get him ;) I'm not worried on having a "perfect" looking leo. So just as long as I correct the diet and get him in some proper housing with good lighting/heat I might be able to at least stop it from progressing?

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i have found that leopards can be a very difficult species to grow smoothly right from hatchlings,and i have tried to do this a couple of times over the years .im sorry i dont have a picture of a 2 year old but this is one of my current home bred youngsters at 18 month's i hope showing smoother more natural growth than the one you are considering.in short i would say yes that 2 year old does show some pyramidding.
terry
28310017Small.jpg

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Thank you :) I let the seller know what I thought and with the opinions given on the shell, they seemed pretty concerned. I guess some people mean well but have the lack the resources, do you guys have any links/reading that you would recommend me passing on? Being a new leo owner myself I would really like to read myself. I can google I'm sure, but if you have a site off hand thats good to reference than I would appreciate it! :)

Also the price? Is that OK for a 2 year old Leo? I know hatchlings can go $125-$175., and what about a tort who is pyramiding? lol Not trying to sound cheap, I have no issue with forking offer the money for a new addition in the family, but I'm just not experienced in the pricing :)

As always thanks for putting up with my questions! :D

PS - Very pretty leo :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't buy this one. If they are on newspaper and pyramided, who knows what else has gone on OR not gone on for the last two years. How about getting one from a reputable breeder. You'll get a healthy animal that has been raised the right way, plus a guarantee, plus you'll be supporting the right people. Here are two that I highly recommend. I've talked to them both extensively and they both produce excellent tortoises with excellent customer service. There are lots of others too.
http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/
http://ivorytortoise.com/

I believe Tyler from Blue Beast is having a 20% off sale right now too.

Here is a good article on pyramiding that you can send to the seller of those other ones.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/pyramiding_in_tortoises.html

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
You are right, I'm most likely better off getting my 2nd through another source. Supporting the right people is always good, just pulled at my heart strings a bit seeing them on newspaper and the shell :) Thanks for the links! My Leo is happy and clean bill of health from the vet, so it's most likely better that I don't get a 2nd with ? mark issues, especially since I can't personally check him out before he's shipped :)

Thanks for the advise, VERY much appreciated and needed! :D

Tom said:
I wouldn't buy this one. If they are on newspaper and pyramided, who knows what else has gone on OR not gone on for the last two years. How about getting one from a reputable breeder. You'll get a healthy animal that has been raised the right way, plus a guarantee, plus you'll be supporting the right people. Here are two that I highly recommend. I've talked to them both extensively and they both produce excellent tortoises with excellent customer service. There are lots of others too.
http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/
http://ivorytortoise.com/

I believe Tyler from Blue Beast is having a 20% off sale right now too.

Here is a good article on pyramiding that you can send to the seller of those other ones.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/pyramiding_in_tortoises.html

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, right now would be a GREAT time to buy one from Tyler, with the 20% off sale, and that way you can start them off right ;)

Oh, and here is another really good care site

www.africantortoise.com

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Make sure you quarantine your new baby...no matter who you get it from. After it is settled in, I always do a fecal to make sure a new one doesn't have parasites, coccidia or bacteria, etc.

Good luck
Patsy

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Thanks for the advise :) Quarantine is a must I agree. You guys have been really helpful, thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.