Can someone look at this video and let me know if my baby looks okay

Michelle85

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose Ca
I got Dixon in April of 2015 only a few weeks old and honestly had no grown at all. I have followed all the advice I got on here and honestly he's active he eats good but I'm not sure why he has not growing.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Did you send the video ? There are a lot of really good keepers on this forum that may be able to direct you. But they need to see what you are talking about.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Hello Tom... I got them from a woman in Sacramento. She has her own and my good friend bought 2 My son wanted one so a few months later I got Dixion and MJ. They are separated Tom you actually told me to separate them when I first joined the forum because Dixion was lethargic and I had no clue what I was doing but now I have educated myself and I have proper lighting I have a temp gun I got the proper bedding only thing That I don't like is I have M.J in a big storage bin and Dixion in a smaller one but I sometimes move Dixion to a smaller little house I made that is not great because it's smaller so if it's cold I move him to my room where it's warmer. I live in San Jose CA so I follow the food source the best I can I grow the grass and I recently got a little green house to grow food myself but for now they get store bought food. Dixion is very active but he's small. I see MJ getting bigger but not my baby. I planned to find a home for Dixion because MJ was a gift for my son I can't regime him. I only got 2 because the lady had them together so I thought they were better in pairs and she didn't tell me other wise. Another thing about Dixion is he breaths really hard that's why I tried posting the video he also sometimes sounds like he hisses at me I'm not sure if that's normal maybe someone on here knows. Tom you have given me great advice in the past so I'm kinda counting on ya to help me out lol I won't get my feelings if I'm wrong in some way I just want to make sure he's okay...no pressure tho lol I know to keep both is not a good idea but for right now Dixion is very small and I do not want to tehome him anywhere until I know he is okay. Also I keep saying HE but recently I was told they were incubated to be female? I'm not sure how tho. One thing I'm wondering is could Dixion get sick from me soaking him 2x a day I do keep my house warm but it is getting cold here but it don't freeze and I have a walk in closet that stays perfect when I put the light on.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
What are the lowest temperature Dixon is exposed to. Are his bath/soaks warm >85 degrees?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom... I got them from a woman in Sacramento. She has her own and my good friend bought 2 My son wanted one so a few months later I got Dixion and MJ. They are separated Tom you actually told me to separate them when I first joined the forum because Dixion was lethargic and I had no clue what I was doing but now I have educated myself and I have proper lighting I have a temp gun I got the proper bedding only thing That I don't like is I have M.J in a big storage bin and Dixion in a smaller one but I sometimes move Dixion to a smaller little house I made that is not great because it's smaller so if it's cold I move him to my room where it's warmer. I live in San Jose CA so I follow the food source the best I can I grow the grass and I recently got a little green house to grow food myself but for now they get store bought food. Dixion is very active but he's small. I see MJ getting bigger but not my baby. I planned to find a home for Dixion because MJ was a gift for my son I can't regime him. I only got 2 because the lady had them together so I thought they were better in pairs and she didn't tell me other wise. Another thing about Dixion is he breaths really hard that's why I tried posting the video he also sometimes sounds like he hisses at me I'm not sure if that's normal maybe someone on here knows. Tom you have given me great advice in the past so I'm kinda counting on ya to help me out lol I won't get my feelings if I'm wrong in some way I just want to make sure he's okay...no pressure tho lol I know to keep both is not a good idea but for right now Dixion is very small and I do not want to tehome him anywhere until I know he is okay. Also I keep saying HE but recently I was told they were incubated to be female? I'm not sure how tho. One thing I'm wondering is could Dixion get sick from me soaking him 2x a day I do keep my house warm but it is getting cold here but it don't freeze and I have a walk in closet that stays perfect when I put the light on.

Ok good. Lets see if we can figure out your issue.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve and maintain those temps? What are you using for night heat? UV?

Are you able to contact the lady in Sac that you got him/her from and ask how the babies were started? Did she use a brooder box or leave them in the incubator while they absorbed their yolk sacs? What substrate were they on as brand new hatchlings? How often were the babies soaked?

The answers to these questions will give us a lot to go on. At the very least it will give us some insight into the problem, and hopefully we can solve it

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Ok good. Lets see if we can figure out your issue.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve and maintain those temps? What are you using for night heat? UV?

Are you able to contact the lady in Sac that you got him/her from and ask how the babies were started? Did she use a brooder box or leave them in the incubator while they absorbed their yolk sacs? What substrate were they on as brand new hatchlings? How often were the babies soaked?

The answers to these questions will give us a lot to go on. At the very least it will give us some insight into the problem, and hopefully we can solve it
I'll get the temps when I get home... Night lighting I have CHE 100 watt day Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted UV/HEAT Mercury Vapor Lamp 125 watts they were incubated and I use Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Substrate I soak 2x a day but there are times I have been out and only get them in once. I can't get the video to load I'm still trying and I will get 4 temps and post in a few min

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I'll get the temps when I get home... Night lighting I have CHE 100 watt day Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted UV/HEAT Mercury Vapor Lamp 125 watts they were incubated and I use Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Substrate I soak 2x a day but there are times I have been out and only get them in once. I can't get the video to load I'm still trying and I will get 4 temps and post in a few min
Basking 99.1 night 76.9 cool is 79 warm 92.1..... I'm using a SainSonic Infrared thermometer I recently got it only temp gun I have owned. I have a little draft in the house so he's in my walk in closet area in a storage bin it's a larger one I do find it hard to maintain temps especially at night. Are the night temps supposed to be that low? He is in the basking area has been most the morning. A few times a day I spray to make the dirt a little damp cus it gets very dry. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. Is it better dry?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basking 99.1 night 76.9 cool is 79 warm 92.1..... I'm using a SainSonic Infrared thermometer I recently got it only temp gun I have owned. I have a little draft in the house so he's in my walk in closet area in a storage bin it's a larger one I do find it hard to maintain temps especially at night. Are the night temps supposed to be that low? He is in the basking area has been most the morning. A few times a day I spray to make the dirt a little damp cus it gets very dry. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. Is it better dry?

Your substrate should be damp. You'll need to dump water into it, as spraying the surface doesn't do much except cool things through evaporation. Your enclosure needs to be humid and warm. 77 is not terrible over night low, but a little warmer would be better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a gram scale to weigh your baby on? I'd love to know the weights, both then and now.

Your conditions don't sound too far off, so this leads me back to the breeder. Any way to get those questions answered?

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Do you have a gram scale to weigh your baby on? I'd love to know the weights, both then and now.

Your conditions don't sound too far off, so this leads me back to the breeder. Any way to get those questions answered?
I do not I could look on Amazon and have it in a few days. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do not I could look on Amazon and have it in a few days. Any suggestions?

Target, Kmart, Sears and Walmart usually have digital "kitchen" scales in stock.

Its worth the trouble to get it as weight can give us clues to figuring this thing out, and its also useful to chart the weight as a diagnostic tool down the road.

M

Maggie Cummings

I bought a good scale cheap at Bed Bath and etc. They're not warm enough.

I'm interested in getting a young Sulcata. If you decide to get rid of one please let me know....my sis lives in Calif and would help.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I wish I was was weighing them from the beginning. In a previous post I wrote about my friend weighing them and u had posted on it I'm pretty sure my baby has not gotten any bigger MJ has grown. I will gets scale tomorrow and check back. As for the last I got them from she has not responded back to me I have reached out just to let her know how they are but never anything back.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I bought a good scale cheap at Bed Bath and etc. They're not warm enough.

I'm interested in getting a young Sulcata. If you decide to get rid of one please let me know....my sis lives in Calif and would help.
I'll check that out tomorrow Thank you. They are very active my baby is just not growing I'm not sure the heat would cause that. MJ is growing and they are the same exact age. I work nights do I do have my friend set the night light up and I never have a problem it has been colder in my area so I also have a heater on in my room so the temps are usually up in the warm and cool spot.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I'll check that out tomorrow Thank you. They are very active my baby is just not growing I'm not sure the heat would cause that. MJ is growing and they are the same exact age. I work nights do I do have my friend set the night light up and I never have a problem it has been colder in my area so I also have a heater on in my room so the temps are usually up in the warm and cool spot.

I do plan to rehome Dixion