BIG problems....someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
As jamlcj and ArtGeco pointed out, you need to change the UVB light every 6 months. If it's one of those heat\UVB combo compacts (like the T-Rex) it should last longer, but since you've got a full year with no growth - inspite the proper diet - I'd consider the hip. that the lighting is malfunctioning.

Have you tried replacing it before?

Also, has Gus ever enjoyed the wonders of direct sunlight? You could try that during the summer months.

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
TestudoGeek said:
As jamlcj and ArtGeco pointed out, you need to change the UVB light every 6 months. If it's one of those heat\UVB combo compacts (like the T-Rex) it should last longer, but since you've got a full year with no growth - inspite the proper diet - I'd consider the hip. that the lighting is malfunctioning.

Have you tried replacing it before?

Also, has Gus ever enjoyed the wonders of direct sunlight? You could try that during the summer months.

sad to say, but we lost gus about a week ago. :(

gus has spent many hours outside in the direct sunlight and we were on our 3rd UV light in 1 year (different brands). we really tried all that we could think of. we had him to the vet about 6 months ago to even see if they could help figure things out. when we first got him he seemed very healthy, but his health steadily decreased over the following year. RIP gussy...we really miss him.
thanks for your concern and help everyone.

i am meeka's b/f by the way.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
demjor19 said:
sad to say, but we lost gus about a week ago. :(

gus has spent many hours outside in the direct sunlight and we were on our 3rd UV light in 1 year (different brands). we really tried all that we could think of. we had him to the vet about 6 months ago to even see if they could help figure things out. when we first got him he seemed very healthy, but his health steadily decreased over the following year. RIP gussy...we really miss him.
thanks for your concern and help everyone.

i am meeka's b/f by the way.

I'm so sorry to hear that...
Sounds like you did everything you could.
It really was bad luck.
Sincerely hope you haven't given up Tortoise Keeping, because these animals need dedicated owners like you.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I am so sorry to hear about your Gus.
We went through a similair situation with a corn snake. Sometimes no matter what we do we can't change the outcome...
Please know you did everything and more you could...
He was a lucky little guy to have you....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. We get so attached they become part of our family and it hurt so much when they go. Just remember you did everything possible for him and you gave him a wonderful gift, the gift of care and love. Sometimes no matter what you do you can't change the inevitable outcome.

RIP Gus

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks alot guys/girls. we def. have not given up on torts...we love them way too much to not stay w/ them. we currently have a 9" sulcata (who we think is a male) and a 6" redfoot female.

it really hit us hard when we walked in and found him after he had passed. you really don't realize how much time you spend interacting and caring for these tortoises. all of them have such different personalities and dispositions. gus will always be our baby, but that doesnt make us love the others any less.

thanks again for all of your thoughts and kind words...it always helps.

-jordan

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry for your loss, it is very difficult. Especially when you have tried so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.