Can Russian tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
I have fried who recently have two RFs, i was supprise when he told me that he actually feed them fresh sardines and anchovies. Is it ok for RF or it can be lethal to them??

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
Can RF tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

Its RT Russian Tortoise. So sorry for the spelling.. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
RE: Can RF tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

I don't know if it is lethal, but it is not something in the regular diet of a russian, I have never fed my russians fish, my reds eat sardines however.

Go to www.russiantortoise.org for a good list of edibles for a russian.

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
Can RF tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

Thanks for the info and site jjsull33.. [WINKING FACE]

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
RE: Can RF tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

I agree with jjsull33. If it is not part of their normal natural diet, it probably is not terribly good for them. With the potential downside, why risk it? There are plenty with more field knowledge than I, and I think they will have valuable input. Fish carry many nutritional benefits, but are fIsh safe for land tortoises? They are for aquatic turtles, will they hurt torts? I do not know, and await a broader knowledge base than my own.

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: Can RF tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the diet?

Fish is actually used as a protein source for protein eating tortoises like redfoots (I've heard it really makes their poo stink though!! Lol never tried fish myself). But since Russians don't really consume protein in a natural setting, I wouldn't give it to them. Its obviously not lethal (I'm assuming this has been going on for a while), but I wouldn't suggest it for Russians... just too much protein and animal fat...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

NO for Russians, sometimes for red-footeds. As for being natural for tortoises, some hingebacks actually hunt for fish!

Sancho

5 Year Member

Can i hijack somewhat to ask if box turtles can eat fish

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Can Russian tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the di

Box turtles can and do eat fish.

I would not feed canned sardines. Canned fish is highly salted, but otherwise okay. Goldfish are high in fat, but okay as a treat. Boxies enjoy cooked fish. I bake or grill fish with dill but no added fat or salt) & we all eat some. They'll also catch minnows in their water dish.

Sorry, I see you asked about fresh. No for RTs. Yes for boxies

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
Can Russian tortoise eat fish eg: fresh sardines or anchovies as part of the di

Ok.. Thanks a zillion guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.