Can Ruby eat Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Since Ruby is only a baby I was wondering if she can have cactus and the fruit from it? And what about Calcium do you give it to your babies or not? And if you do how much? I was also wondering how many times a week do you find that your babies soak. We figure that Ruby is about 10 months old now. And just to add.......she's sooooooo cute. :D

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I,personally, would soak everyday. But take it like a grain of salt!
& I used to feed catus
Hows she doing? !

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy I've tried cactus but never thought it was worth the effort. You'll see in my ( revised - redfootcare ) caresheet below that I have used calcium carbonate [ no D3 ] starting at 6 months. And I just provide a water source and they use it at will.

Terry K

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My redfoots eat cactus. I chop it up for them and they chow down. They also eat the fruit - with gusto! I like to give mine TNT with fruit once a week and calcium once a week. I also leave a cuttlebone for them - which they love to nibble on. I don't soak mine - just allow them to soak themselves whenever they want - which is usually every day. Hope that was helpful! :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Tried cactus, they never seemed interested... but maybe I'm just presenting it right? lol

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale doesn't thrill over the cactus as much as the fruit, he seems to really love that. :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cactus and the fruit have great nutritional values. Singe off any spines or hairs if they have any.

Some of mine love the stuff, some ignore it. The bigger ones seem to prefer the fruit uncut, but the little guys seem to struggle with the skin. As far as the pads go, try chopping it up.

I keep the humidity up, make sure the food is moist (soaked, naturally wet and fresh, or misted when served), and offer fresh water daily. As long as they feel heavy for the size, I don't bother with soaks.

I use a pinch of plain calcium about once a week, or whenever I have to offer a low-calcium meal.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When Pio was little, he never liked cactus, or the fruit from it. I have tried it several times as he got older, with no luck. I never soaked him...just let him go in his water dish when he wanted. I sprinkled the calcium on his food when I feed protein, but he loves the cuttle bone. When he was little, and even now, I always keep a cuttle bone in his viv. He seems to like them and usually after he eats, he will go nibble on one.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Would any cactus/flowering cactus be okay to feed them?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I'd just use whatever cactus they sell at your local store for human consumption (should be able to find at least one type in produce), otherwise I would search the internet for edible cactus (but even still it might be dangerous to go harvest your own and be sure... if cactus are even dangerous?)... But again, this isn't a very popular food choice with redfoots (from most peoples experience).

sachmn

5 Year Member
I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at the store. He may not go for it but I'd like to give it a try. I kind of like it from time to time too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is usually in a cellophane package and it will either be called Nopales or Nopalitos. In my store it is cut up into bite sized pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.