Can I used a cascade 1000 in 20 gallons of water?

Rubyfryk

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Realistically, it’s probably 10-15 gallons. It’s a 40 gallon tank but I have a hatchling in it, I wanna know if I can use a penn-plax cascade 1000 or if that filter is gonna be too strong. I have no idea about filters, I didn’t even know what a canister filter was until a week ago. I bought this one though and wanna know if I can hook it up or if I should wait and keep the one going that I have inside the tank for now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Realistically, it’s probably 10-15 gallons. It’s a 40 gallon tank but I have a hatchling in it, I wanna know if I can use a penn-plax cascade 1000 or if that filter is gonna be too strong. I have no idea about filters, I didn’t even know what a canister filter was until a week ago. I bought this one though and wanna know if I can hook it up or if I should wait and keep the one going that I have inside the tank for now.
You might want to divert the water flow with some tubes. But it will work

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Yes you can, that is a better filter than one you would be told to use. The more surface area in the canister filter will provide way better water quality. If you need to reduce the flow have it pointed towards a wall or rock something like that or find something that will go into the end of the water out tube and reduce the size. Ball point pen part, other tubing etc.

Okapizebra

5 Year Member
West Palm Beach, Florida
I would be careful. I use the cascade 1000 on my 40 gallon tank but it's completely full. And that things really blasts that water! Just be careful not to blast your turtle out of existence.

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
I would be careful. I use the cascade 1000 on my 40 gallon tank but it's completely full. And that things really blasts that water! Just be careful not to blast your turtle out of existence.
So I ended up just putting it in today and I figured that out 😭 I think I have it rigged though so that the water isn’t causing too much pressure anywhere. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it and actually keeps swimming over by the output like he really likes it 😂

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Like I tried to say earlier. You might want to divert the water return so that it doesn't create so much turbulence.
And you can get a few sponge pre filters that fit over the intake screens and change them out as they get dirty. To lessen the worry about intake suction

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Like I tried to say earlier. You might want to divert the water return so that it doesn't create so much turbulence.
And you can get a few sponge pre filters that fit over the intake screens and change them out as they get dirty. To lessen the worry about intake suction
Great advice, intake pre filter.