Question about canister filters

CChung

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have a 55 gallon tank filled about 3/4s with a Reeves and Cagles turtle. I’m currently using an Ovation 1000 submersible internal filter that has a 265 gph. It’s positioned on one side of the aquarium and not filtering the turtle waste on the other side of the tank. I’m wondering if I get a canister filter and position the intake on one side of the aquarium is it strong enough to filter out the waste on the other side of the aquarium. I do have a lot of decor that can get in the way also. Thanks for any replies.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a 55 gallon tank filled about 3/4s with a Reeves and Cagles turtle. I’m currently using an Ovation 1000 submersible internal filter that has a 265 gph. It’s positioned on one side of the aquarium and not filtering the turtle waste on the other side of the tank. I’m wondering if I get a canister filter and position the intake on one side of the aquarium is it strong enough to filter out the waste on the other side of the aquarium. I do have a lot of decor that can get in the way also. Thanks for any replies.
If you angle the outlet tube in such a way that it rotates the water around gently. Itd help.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
i think for your size tank and because you have 2 turtles, you may need to increase the gph. i have a 40g tank with 1 male map turtle, and a canister filter for a 70g tank (fluval 306) that circulates the water perfectly. just make sure your external canister filter is suited for double the size of your tank (because turtles are messy)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I think I've tried every type of filter plus several DIY as I keep a larger number of young turtles in tanks to raise from each year's hatchings in my pond. I have ended up only using Fluval cannister filters. Very easy to clean and I only have to do it about once a month in a 75 Gal tank with 20 yearling turtles. IT keeps the tank perfectly clean even to support a couple of plecos I keep in there for algae control. And plecos are pretty water quality dependent! I have a Fluval 405 on that tank that does circulate about 300 GPH. The design of these filters is that you simply shut the valve and remove the cannister from the tubes leading into the tank - so you disturb nothing in the tank when cleaning the filter. Cleaning operation takes less than 10 minutes total.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Another huge Fluval fan here. I use the 200 and 300 series on anything under 50 gals, Anything over 50 gallons I go with the Fluval FX 4's and 6's. They are workhorse tanks and literally almost indestructible.