Can i use this as a substrate? pics to help decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Ok so my husband went on a nature walk today now that the snow has melted(for now). and i came across several trees that the bark had been chipped off(not on the bottom more towards the middle and top) by some creature lol it looks really freshly done and all the pieces are pretty small ? i tried to pull of a piece myself to make sure it wasnt just rotton or diseased and i could not pull off any. my question is can i wash n then bake this stuff to make it safe for my Leopard ? i think it would add nice texture for him? if you have any reason that this is a bad idea PLEASE tell me thats y i took pics lol to ask all you very tort smart pple.. also i dont know the type of tree? so i dnt know if it will mess with Sonne at all? so please pple let me know what YOU think. :)

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 30
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you are taking a chance there. Because no one really does that it is a bit of an unknown. It might be fine. On the other hand, it might be fatal for some reason.

Personally, I just would not risk it.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Just don't chance it. Substrate is cheap if you go with sphagnum peat moss at Lowe's or Home Depot.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I really have no clue, but I think the risk is not worth it. Like mentioned before a big bag of substrate is extremely cheap.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
tortoise-kid said:
I really have no clue, but I think the risk is not worth it. Like mentioned before a big bag of substrate is extremely cheap.

OK thanks i already tossed it out! it was just kinda cool :) thanks guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.