Can I keep her inside all day?

Panedora

Hi im new to tortoise so i need some advice asap.. we are having a new roof put on this week and the roofers are scraping off the old one. it had been windy and most if our old roof went in our back yard (despite renting them the largest dumpster they sell) I have been working all morning but there are nails and shingles and isolation stuff everywhere. I have never kept her inside all day, she always goes out she loves it (and her pool is out there). What should i do should i let her out and try and stay with her or is it ok to keep her inside all day long? i know she will make a mess prolly but i rather her make a mess that get a nail in her somewhere. oh and she eats on grass all day too so would she be ok just feeding her some greens inside?

Panedora

she wont drink for a dish should i soak her in tub sometime today so she can have water?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I agree keep her inside until you have the yard cleaned up. Even once you think it's clean, I bet your going to keep finding bits here and there. Sulcatas are especially good at eating things they shouldn't, so keep trying to find everything. Then also, once she is back out, be sure to keep her well hydrated and eating. That way if she does find some part of the roofing problem to eat, it will have a better/easier time of passing straight on through.

Panedora

She seems to be particularly lazy today (very cold) she has not even gone to the door to want to go outside so maybe she wont mind being stuck inside with me. i gave her a bunch of greens and a carrot with calcium but she not hungry yet. she seems fine, just lazy lol

Panedora

another question when she is outside she walks about all day. but staying inside all day she barley moved and slept all day didnt want to eat or anything is that normal?
She has cut back on eating now that its getting cold. but is normal for them to go whole day without eating?

Panedora

72 but im in the desert so feels colder. not a lot of sun shine today. we are used to 115 summers here so very cold for us, but coming from the eastern part of usa i realize how silly this sounds lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a tropical species of tortoise they need warm temp year round. On the floor in your house is simply not warm enough. Many people in AZ let them live outside in a burrow with no heat in winter and they survive it, but it is not good for them in my experience. Here are some of the ways I keep mine in a climate pretty similar to yours for most of the year.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

Panedora

your the habitat building Master arnt you lol.. i have had a few ppl link me those post, My husband is taking off 2 weeks starting this Saturday and he is going to build her an out door heated house thing lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
your the habitat building Master arnt you lol.. i have had a few ppl link me those post, My husband is taking off 2 weeks starting this Saturday and he is going to build her an out door heated house thing lol

That is excellent news. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much more active, healthy and happy she is with warmer night temps.

You certainly need to keep her away from all the debris outside, but she needs warmth too. Restricting her to a smaller part of the yard, away from the construction debris, that has a heated shelter could work.