Can I get a second tort?

TinyTortilla

I want to get a friend for my tort. can I keep two testudo tort in the same encloser? the one I have now in a female. should I look for another female or should I get a male? thanks for the advice :):tort:

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
If you have a very large enclosure another female will be fine. Not a male as he will spend all day trying to mate her and could stress her a lot.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
No,, they will fight and u are gonna have to make another enclosure , I had two female Russians together for a while and one day out of nothing one of the females started bitting the eyes of the other one , now I have 3 Russians and 3 different enclosures .

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I know that it is super tempting to get another tortoise... but the reality is that in nature, Russian tortoises are happiest by themselves. If they intersect with another tortoise, they fight, mate, or both, and then go along their way. Keeping 2 RTs together is stressful for them, and will result in biting and outright fighting, or subtle bullying. There are already a lot of other threads on this forum that talk about this scenario.
I've also summed it up in a blog post, http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html if that helps you. I learned this lesson the hard way...