Considering a second Horsfield...

HelloBella

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North of England
I am considering getting a second female Horsfield as a companion to my Bella. I understand males can be aggressive when housed together but can anyone tell me how two females fare? I am not keen on getting her a male friend as I don't want her getting harassed.

Bells is 5 y/o and about 7.5 inches long so I would aim to get a second female tortoise of similar age and size.

Thanks in advance!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'm glad you know the negatives of a male and female pair. Two females are better, but not great. Tortoises (most species) DO NOT want companions. This could only possibly work if you have a very very large outdoor area. At the moment I have a group of Russians outside in a 10'x13' area, and they need more room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sexes don't matter. Especially in russians. They are scrappy, territorial and don't want to share their space regardless of the sexes.

If you want another tortoise, set up another enclosure and keep them housed separately. You will need to do this anyway for quarantine purposes if you get a new one.

Please understand that GROUPS of russians are not the same thing as PAIRS of russians. It is a totally different dynamic.

Here is some info for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you want to get another tortoise because YOU want another tortoise, then please get one. But set it up in a whole new habitat, separate from Bella. Tortoises don't need companions. They are solitary in the wild. Have you ever seen nature shows where one animal tries to come into the territory of another animal? The one who's territory is being invaded will fight to the death to get the new animal out of the territory. Its the same thing with Russian tortoises, whether its male or female. Bella doesn't want or need anyone in her territory. She doesn't want to have to share the best hiding place or the food. She's completely happy being an only tortoise.

Its a whole other ballgame if Bella lives outside. In a big outdoor habitat the two tortoises will soon determine where each is going to live and will get along much better outside in a large, well-planted enclosure. But indoors - no. You will make Bella's life miserable.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tom, Tiffany and Yvonne already said it perfectly. :)
Last year I wrote a (humorous and educational) blog post about exactly what Tom is talking about - there is a huge difference between keeping 2 tortoises together and keeping a group... and unless you are willing to dedicate A LOT of space, your tortoise will be happiest by herself. Here's the link to the blog post, if you're up for the read: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html