Can i feed them this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
I've heard that Mazuri is really good for my sulcata. But I just read on the Internet that Mazuri, Zoo med, etc. isn't good for them. Is it good for them or not?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mazuri is widely fed by tortoise owners on here... At least by those who can get it. I live in the UK and we can't.

Most only feed it a couple of times a week as part of a varied diet

leopard777

5 Year Member
mazuri actually provide pellets for their local zoo ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can feed it. It should not be the only thing you feed them though. Still feed all the diff. Variety of greens, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both are good as part of a varied diet. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Ok thanks guys! And yea I really didnt believe it. I feed him squash, bell peppers, and every couple days I feed him Mazuri. And he also eats a lot of grass in the yard. Is that diet ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Squash and bell peppers are fine once in a while, but not as staples. Grass is great. Also look for spineless opuntia cactus pads, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers, grass hays if your sulcatas are over 12", many types of weeds, etc...

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Ok. Well he eats grass in the yard everyday and I also throw him a couple squash and bell peppers everyday. How often should I feed him squash and bell peppers?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Once in a while means a small amount once a month at most. They love sweet stuff, especially if it's red, but that's like me loving chocolate. It's not good for him.

Too much sugar could make him very ill

He should be getting a varied diet which is mostly green. The stuff he grazes naturally is great. What you give him should also be green. There are some grear suggestions in earlier posts

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
What about watermelon? It's mostly water. Is it ok for like every 2 weeks or so? My red foots love it but I want to make sure it's ok for a sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RonHays said:
What about watermelon? It's mostly water. Is it ok for like every 2 weeks or so? My red foots love it but I want to make sure it's ok for a sulcata.

Same thing as any other fruit. Its not going to make them suddenly keel over and die the second they touch it. Its just not all that good for them. Personally, I skip all the sugary stuff. They don't need it. Its not good for them. Mine seem to enjoy their healthy treats every bit as much and anything sugary.

Status
Not open for further replies.