Can I feed my tortoise mowed grass?

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I was just wondering if I could feed my torts grass from the lawnmower? I have a 6yo and a 4wo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the grass is not treated with pesticides or other chemicals (most grass is…), you can mix in some with the 6 year olds other foods. I bought an electric mower just for this purpose so that there would be no oil, or gas, or fumes mixing with my tortoise's food.

Babies need softer younger grass. Mature lawn grass will be too coarse and tough for them.

Jaid10

USA
So that’s a no on the mower grass? My grass is fertilized is that ok
If the grass is not treated with pesticides or other chemicals (most grass is…), you can mix in some with the 6 year olds other foods. I bought an electric mower just for this purpose so that there would be no oil, or gas, or fumes mixing with my tortoise's food.

Babies need softer younger grass. Mature lawn grass will be too coarse and tough for them.
my grass has fertilizer is that ok? So I can’t give the 6yo mowed grass? We have a normal mower. What can I feed the younger one?

daniellenc

Maryland
If the grass is treated it’s a no feed. You can however clip grass from areas you know aren’t treated like old non tended fields or the woods. I think @Tom already posted links for on good foods to offer so check those out for ideas!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So that’s a no on the mower grass? My grass is fertilized is that ok

my grass has fertilizer is that ok? So I can’t give the 6yo mowed grass? We have a normal mower. What can I feed the younger one?
What is the grass fertilized with? You need to read the label on the bag. If it is plain fertilizer and it is all absorbed into the soil, you can feed the tortoise some of it. If it is a "weed n feed" with pesticides or herbicides (most of them are…), then you should not feed it to your tortoise.

Here is what to feed the baby:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jaid10

USA
image.jpg
What is the grass fertilized with? You need to read the label on the bag. If it is plain fertilizer and it is all absorbed into the soil, you can feed the tortoise some of it. If it is a "weed n feed" with pesticides or herbicides (most of them are…), then you should not feed it to your tortoise.

Here is what to feed the baby:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
I actually have a field above my yard. I just don’t know for sure if it has actual grass or just weeds. Here’s a picture.

daniellenc

Maryland
Wowza that could be awesome for both you guys as free food!! Take pictures of the individual weeds for people to ID before feeding to ensure it’s safe.