how much should I feed my tort

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi, I was wondering how much I should feed my 6yo sulcata. She is very small for her age, only around 10 inches. I can measure her if you need. No matter how much I feed her she always eats it all in around five minutes.

Jaid10

USA
I try to feed her as much grass as possible. For some reason there are not to
Feed Sulcatas as much as they want... assuming it’s healthy stuff. It won’t get overweight

Your tort should be on a mix of grass and weeds by now.
I try to feed her as much grass as possible. For some reason I can’t find any of the weeds that I have been told to feed her such as dandelions. Some more ideas would be great. I will try to feed her as much as I can. I am gone for some parts of the day so I’ll do what I can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you make an outdoor, planted habitat for the tortoise. They are hard wired to graze most of the time they're outside. I don't really "feed" my sulcata. He comes out in the morning, sits in the sun to warm up, then walks around his yard, walking and eating, walking and eating. When he's had his fill, he goes under the bush to vegetate. Later in the day he comes out again, walking and eating, walking and eating until it's time to go back into his shed for the night.

At 10" your tortoise can live outside with a heated retreat (shed/nightbox/whatever).

Jaid10

USA
Can you make an outdoor, planted habitat for the tortoise. They are hard wired to graze most of the time they're outside. I don't really "feed" my sulcata. He comes out in the morning, sits in the sun to warm up, then walks around his yard, walking and eating, walking and eating. When he's had his fill, he goes under the bush to vegetate. Later in the day he comes out again, walking and eating, walking and eating until it's time to go back into his shed for the night.

At 10" your tortoise can live outside with a heated retreat (shed/nightbox/whatever).
I have made her an outdoor cage that is 10 by 10 ft. I do have to get it ready for her. I’m kind of stuck on the heated night box thing because I’m not sure the cheapest and easiest way to make it. After I do get it ready for her, I will plant lots of things for her to eat. In the meantime though I’ll try to feed her as much as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have made her an outdoor cage that is 10 by 10 ft. I do have to get it ready for her. I’m kind of stuck on the heated night box thing because I’m not sure the cheapest and easiest way to make it. After I do get it ready for her, I will plant lots of things for her to eat. In the meantime though I’ll try to feed her as much as possible.
How cold is it at night there?

You can always put her out during the day and bring her in at night.

Jaid10

USA
It really depends. Our weather is crazy. But probably around 50°. I live in Utah.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would just through a huge amount of greens and grass in twice a day!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the tortoises in the house I give them enough food so there's food left on the feeding tile at the end of the day. If it's all cleaned up I know I didn't give them enough.

autox19

east lansing mi
Sulcata torts are opportunistic eaters. They will always eat until full. Then poop and eat more. If there is no food around, their system holds the food to get the most nutrients possible. When food is plentiful, studies have shown their feces can have more than 60 percent of its nutrients still undigested. So like others said, there will never be a fear of over feeding. To be honest, once an adult, in the wild, they can go for quite a long time without eating. That being said, what they can do and what they should do are 2 different things. A kid can live off of cereal its whole life but wont be the best for them.

Odie