can i feed my hermann’s tortoise green leaf?

chubu

Location (City and/or State)
oman
hello, so there is this other green leaf..i will insert the picture. is it good for them? IMG_1987.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello, this leaf is cut in pieces - it's hard to identify. If you have a photo of tree itself and the whole leaf - it would be better.
Mulberry and hibiscus leaves are fine to feed, but it doesn't look like one of them.

chubu

oman
its just a green leaf from the vegetable store that i got from i think its Amaranthus. i tried feeding it to them but they wont eat it.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, the whole leaf is similar to amaranthus, however I'm not 100% sure.

Amaranthus is not a healthy food for them, so they are right when refuse to eat it. It's not a toxic plant as is, yet it easily absorbs toxic elements from soil and is high in oxalates.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it's an amaranth, you can tell from the seed stalks that are forming. It's fine in small quantity but not popular at my house. I offer it to my Russian about twice a year just for variety; sometimes she takes a bite but not often.

OP, a lot of the food advice you read here describes foods likely to be found in a wetter, cooler climate. Can you tell us what green foods are commonly eaten around you--by humans! We may be able to narrow things down for you a bit.

I see that cactus is grown a bit there. It's not native but farmed. If there is any close to you that's one option but I am sure there are others.

chubu

oman
Yes, it's an amaranth, you can tell from the seed stalks that are forming. It's fine in small quantity but not popular at my house. I offer it to my Russian about twice a year just for variety; sometimes she takes a bite but not often.

OP, a lot of the food advice you read here describes foods likely to be found in a wetter, cooler climate. Can you tell us what green foods are commonly eaten around you--by humans! We may be able to narrow things down for you a bit.

I see that cactus is grown a bit there. It's not native but farmed. If there is any close to you that's one option but I am sure there are others.
Hello, thank you for the reply. So i live in Oman and we usually eat lettuce and this type of leaves which is amaranth. i think there is more but im not aware of them. i recently planted hibiscus and mulberry because i heard they were good for them. speaking on cactus, we do have it here but i have never planted one before…i should give it a try. but for my hermann’s tortoise, i feed them for 5 days, in the morning only with fresh lettuce with chopped carrots and other days with cucumbers and capsicum and every sunday i sprinkle their food with calcium powder. friday and saturday are their fasting day. is this a good diet or should i try something new?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Fasting days are not actually needed, it's hard to overfeed tortoise with right diet and decent amount of exercise. Food should be always available (through the day).

Carrots and capsicum (sweet pepper) aren't really healthy food for them, so they should not be a part of a regular diet.

Cucumbers and lettuce are good for hydration, but have low nutritional value.

Hibiscus and mulberry are good. Grape leaves (young) can also be fed.

So far, yes, you should introduce more variety to their diet. If you tell what's available in your local grocery stores, we can find suitable food sources. You can also check the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/ website for the list of edible plants (however, there is not much information on plants outside moderate climates).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, thank you for the reply. So i live in Oman and we usually eat lettuce and this type of leaves which is amaranth. i think there is more but im not aware of them. i recently planted hibiscus and mulberry because i heard they were good for them. speaking on cactus, we do have it here but i have never planted one before…i should give it a try. but for my hermann’s tortoise, i feed them for 5 days, in the morning only with fresh lettuce with chopped carrots and other days with cucumbers and capsicum and every sunday i sprinkle their food with calcium powder. friday and saturday are their fasting day. is this a good diet or should i try something new?
Fasting days are not needed nor beneficial. Your tortoises should be fed every day.

chubu

oman
Fasting days are not needed nor beneficial. Your tortoises should be fed every day.
omg thank you for letting me know! because majority of the research says i need to do so

chubu

oman
Fasting days are not actually needed, it's hard to overfeed tortoise with right diet and decent amount of exercise. Food should be always available (through the day).

Carrots and capsicum (sweet pepper) aren't really healthy food for them, so they should not be a part of a regular diet.

Cucumbers and lettuce are good for hydration, but have low nutritional value.

Hibiscus and mulberry are good. Grape leaves (young) can also be fed.

So far, yes, you should introduce more variety to their diet. If you tell what's available in your local grocery stores, we can find suitable food sources. You can also check the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/ website for the list of edible plants (however, there is not much information on plants outside moderate climates).
hello, thank you for the reply. the website was really helpful. i always try to be the best owner as i can for my tortoises 😁

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

chubu

oman

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
omg thank you for letting me know! because majority of the research says i need to do so
Most of what is available out in the world for tortoise care is all wrong. Pet shops, YT and FB will steer you the wrong way. Read the thread that Alex linked for you in post number 11. There is a care sheet at the bottom of that one too for temperate species.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You should definitely try with cactus, it is an excellent food. And the hibiscus and mulberry are great if they grow well in that climate.

The carrots and capsicum are only good on occasion, as already mentioned.

Wow, it is really to find native prepared dishes that contain many suitable vegetables/leaves that I can research. This is hard! Are there any soft squashes there, like marrow or courgette? These are better foods; more importantly the leaves and stems are excellent food. Same goes for the leaves of melons and cucumbers, although they are less likely to be interesting to a tortoise (you could try cutting the leaves up). Common bean leaves are good on occasion, along with a bean itself now and again. I read that sow thistles grow as a weed in some places. That feels weird as the plant is from Eurasia but seems like it grows everywhere these days. If you've got it it's a great food.

If there is any sturdy leaf that gets used in a stew it is likely to be of interest.

The big issue here is a lack of fiber, which is critical to health. Lettuce just isn't enough. Adding a pelleted food would be something seriously worth considering while you wait for other things to grow. What is the practicality of getting any kind of pet food shipped to Oman from another country, like the U.S. or the U.K.?

chubu

oman
You should definitely try with cactus, it is an excellent food. And the hibiscus and mulberry are great if they grow well in that climate.

The carrots and capsicum are only good on occasion, as already mentioned.

Wow, it is really to find native prepared dishes that contain many suitable vegetables/leaves that I can research. This is hard! Are there any soft squashes there, like marrow or courgette? These are better foods; more importantly the leaves and stems are excellent food. Same goes for the leaves of melons and cucumbers, although they are less likely to be interesting to a tortoise (you could try cutting the leaves up). Common bean leaves are good on occasion, along with a bean itself now and again. I read that sow thistles grow as a weed in some places. That feels weird as the plant is from Eurasia but seems like it grows everywhere these days. If you've got it it's a great food.

If there is any sturdy leaf that gets used in a stew it is likely to be of interest.

The big issue here is a lack of fiber, which is critical to health. Lettuce just isn't enough. Adding a pelleted food would be something seriously worth considering while you wait for other things to grow. What is the practicality of getting any kind of pet food shipped to Oman from another country, like the U.S. or the U.K.?
Hello, so about the marrow.. we have them in the supermarket as the vegetable itself but i will try looking for a plant in any garden shop. Sow thistles do grow here and i will add that to their diet! last time i checked from amazon, half of the stuff wouldn’t ship to Oman but recently i found a pet shop that sells these.. i will insert a picture. should i consider buying it? as you mentioned about the fiber.. this offers a lot of it. f1398abe-4d2a-4eec-aedd-0cd3847d0e5a.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Great! Marrow is easy to grow and it's cheap (here) so even if one dies you'll get some good use out of it. This is one I'd chop up and add a little cucumber juice to, to get your tortoise in the habit of eating it. The flowers are great, too.

I'm not very good with pellets but if you post the ingredient list another member can help you out. Mulberry as the first ingredient sounds good but we should see the rest.

chubu

oman
su
Great! Marrow is easy to grow and it's cheap (here) so even if one dies you'll get some good use out of it. This is one I'd chop up and add a little cucumber juice to, to get your tortoise in the habit of eating it. The flowers are great, too.

I'm not very good with pellets but if you post the ingredient list another member can help you out. Mulberry as the first ingredient sounds good but we should see the rest.
sure, i will contact the store for the ingredient information and will send it through. once again thank you so much for the help!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, so about the marrow.. we have them in the supermarket as the vegetable itself but i will try looking for a plant in any garden shop. Sow thistles do grow here and i will add that to their diet! last time i checked from amazon, half of the stuff wouldn’t ship to Oman but recently i found a pet shop that sells these.. i will insert a picture. should i consider buying it? as you mentioned about the fiber.. this offers a lot of it. View attachment 363528
The Hikari Mulberific is an excellent tortoise food! Most tortoises take to it very quickly too.

chubu

oman

IMG_2083.jpeg