can i add 1 more young star?

Alec

Currently I have a indian star of 1 yr old in a 4 x 2 feet tortoise table, he is living happily now. My friend who brought a indian star together with me wanted to give it to me because his company is sending him to overseas training for 4 months.
Can I keep both indian stars together in the 4 x 2 feet table? they are still pretty small about the same size (3.5inch)
Can't really tell the sex now so I need some advise please.
Thanks in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't do it. The enclosure is not really that big for two and you really quarantine your friends, even though they came from the same place, they have not been living in the same place. I also not sure if they do good in pairs, but probably not. Set up a seperate enclosure for it if you have room for two inside and outside as adults.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
no and you would need to quarantine them from each other 6 months to a year anyway, So you would need 2 enclosures anyway.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'll third this. They should be separated. A 4'x2' table is not going to be big enough for a single star very soon. They are territorial loners and 'pairs' seldom succeed.

And, as pointed out, tortoises should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least six months before attempting any type of introduction.

Alec

I wouldn't do it. The enclosure is not really that big for two and you really quarantine your friends, even though they came from the same place, they have not been living in the same place. I also not sure if they do good in pairs, but probably not. Set up a seperate enclosure for it if you have room for two inside and outside as adults.
no and you would need to quarantine them from each other 6 months to a year anyway, So you would need 2 enclosures anyway.
I'll third this. They should be separated. A 4'x2' table is not going to be big enough for a single star very soon. They are territorial loners and 'pairs' seldom succeed.

And, as pointed out, tortoises should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least six months before attempting any type of introduction.

Thanks guys, guess I better build 2 larger tortoise tables before I bring the other star home.
Appreciate the advises

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks guys, guess I better build 2 larger tortoise tables before I bring the other star home.
Appreciate the advises
Alec,

Since you're going to build something for them, have you considered an enclosed chamber for maintaining great temperature and humidity? Your star(s) will do so much better in an enclosed chamber, especially their first 3-4 years. Taking the advice of many here on the forum, and going off the post by @Tom on his enclosed chambers, I built this one and I made a post about it. I house Burmese Stars in it, and can't tell you how please I am with how they are doing compared to all the other way's I've housed young tortoises over the past 50 years I've been keeping tortoises.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/1300842/

Alec

Alec,

Since you're going to build something for them, have you considered an enclosed chamber for maintaining great temperature and humidity? Your star(s) will do so much better in an enclosed chamber, especially their first 3-4 years. Taking the advice of many here on the forum, and going off the post by @Tom on his enclosed chambers, I built this one and I made a post about it. I house Burmese Stars in it, and can't tell you how please I am with how they are doing compared to all the other way's I've housed young tortoises over the past 50 years I've been keeping tortoises.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/1300842/

Wow Mark! That is an awesome enclosed chamber! Impressive work!
I am from south east asia, and the temperature and humidity here is very suitable for the stars. Temperature is around 24 to 35 degree C, humidity is usually around 60 to 90. I mist the enclosure every 2 or 3 days and soak all my tortoises for about an hour everyday.
I have a enclosed wooden "cage" my first tortoise in the past, but it is difficult to clean and messy when changing the substrate.
Anyway, thanks for the advise Mark. Thumbs uptort.jpeg

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Wow Mark! That is an awesome enclosed chamber! Impressive work!
I am from south east asia, and the temperature and humidity here is very suitable for the stars. Temperature is around 24 to 35 degree C, humidity is usually around 60 to 90. I mist the enclosure every 2 or 3 days and soak all my tortoises for about an hour everyday.
I have a enclosed wooden "cage" my first tortoise in the past, but it is difficult to clean and messy when changing the substrate.
Anyway, thanks for the advise Mark. Thumbs upView attachment 200474

Hi Alec I love your enclosure. I am also from South East Asia :) what substrate are you using? I am always not sure what substrate to use and has been using newspapers for more than 20 years.

Alec

Hi Alec I love your enclosure. I am also from South East Asia :) what substrate are you using? I am always not sure what substrate to use and has been using newspapers for more than 20 years.

Hi Sean, I am using Exo Terra Plantation Soil and Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Hi Sean, I am using Exo Terra Plantation Soil and Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding.
Hi Thanks Alec. How is the management like using these substrates? I am worried about things like bugs appearing and mould

Alec

I soak my tortoises everyday so they do not do their "business" in their enclosure, I clear and wash the dish plates everyday as well, so I do not encounter any bugs/ants or mould issue. I mist the enclosure/forest bedding when they are enjoying their spa, so far for almost 1.5 year, I do not encounter any substrates problem. I change the substrate every 4 months even they still look very "clean".

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I soak my tortoises everyday so they do not do their "business" in their enclosure, I clear and wash the dish plates everyday as well, so I do not encounter any bugs/ants or mould issue. I mist the enclosure/forest bedding when they are enjoying their spa, so far for almost 1.5 year, I do not encounter any substrates problem. I change the substrate every 4 months even they still look very "clean".
Oh thanks for the info. You really put in effort!