Can babies spend too much time outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
This is the second summer for my sulcata. I have built him a 4' x 8' outdoor enclosure with overhead protection, planted grasses and weeds to eat, made a humid hide, added some shade areas, and some dry hiding places too. He seems to love being outside and I am sure the sun and exercise are great for him.

I have been taking out in the mornings after his soak time and then bringing him back inside late in the afternoons, back to his humid indoor enclosure for the night. This Winter and Spring I spent a lot of effort creating a humid indoor environment to produce smooth shell growth and a healthy tort. Having good results with that I am wondering if the dry outdoors will cause the pyramiding to reappear?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good question. I'm sure the opinions will run the entire spectrum. To a degree this depends on where you live and what sort of set up you have.

Its very dry where I live, so I don't like to leave Babies out for more than an hour or two for fear of them just drying out too much. I sun them on damp substrate and spray them periodically during sun time, but their shells still dry out, and it worries me. See this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Carapace-Like-A-Sponge#axzz1LE7QsRcM

As they get older and bigger, I worry about it less. Hatchlings I will only leave out for an hour or two. By 4" I'll leave them for 3-4 hours. Once they are 6-8" or so, I don't think it matters at all any more, as long as they are hydrated. All ages get a good warm soak as I bring them in from sunning. Once mine are around 10" or so they move outside permanently. I'm building and experimenting with some new underground shelters, so I may start revising these time tables.

Also, my pen is very overgrown with weeds right now and it actually holds a fair amount of humidity compared to open ground with bare dirt. That being the case, I've been letting my 4 inchers stay out a little longer. I've gone up to 6-7 hours recently, but they hide out in the thick undergrowth of 3' tall weed bunches. Its also been taking me 5-10 minutes just to find them in their 15x30' pen because its so over-grown with weeds. Once the day warms up I make it rain in their pen and I can feel the humidity in there even hours later.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Don't sweat it! San Marcos is a perfect place to keep your youngster outside (and you've got some 'neighbors' here as well)...as long as he has shady spots to retreat to, he can be out from sun up to sundown. I wouldn't test the theories on pyramiding too much! If what you're doing is resulting in a good diet, good growth...then what you're doing is GREAT! I would lose the 'overhead protection' unless it's predator control. They need the sun...and lots of it!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I wouldn't Sweat It Too Much
20 Minutes to A Couple Of Hours Should Be Fine, Especially If They Are Hydrated
And Get Soaked Daily :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Hi Joe,

I used to live in Escondido, so I know San Marcos weather. I agree that it is good torty weather. It sounds like a nice outdoor encloser too. I like to soak mine when I bring them in. I don't know if before or after is better, I just always feel like they need a soak after being out side. It has been very dry in Ramona :(

Hi Joe,

I used to live in Escondido, so I know San Marcos weather. I agree that it is good torty weather. It sounds like a nice outdoor encloser too. I like to soak mine when I bring them in. I don't know if before or after is better, I just always feel like they need a soak after being out side. It has been very dry in Ramona :(

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I live in Arizona and keep my Sulcatas tortoises from 4 months on outside 24/7. As long as they have access to shade/house (spots to stay cool when the sun is hot) and areas to bask, as well as areas to hide, they do well. I find my thrive and grow better outside than inside. Some people however, don't have the weather to allow that opportunity. I also spray them down daily and fill their water dish.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Angi said:
Hi Joe,

When in doubt...saok 'em in the morning and in the evening...that's what I do...30-60 minutes each session...warm water!:tort:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Okay. Thanks everyone. I became worried because of the Santa Anna conditions. That's hot, dry air and wind for those that are not familiar with Southern California climate. My tort is just about 4" now and really needs more room than I can devote inside. But outside I can give him lots of room. Right now I have constructed a pen because he shares the yard with two very old dogs. The 4' x 8' pen is just the right size, I don't have much trouble finding him and he has plenty of exercise room. The dogs aren't much of a threat, but I made a wire mesh top for the pen just in case. He does have a humid hide that he spends a great portion of the day sleeping in. I made it from one of the dog's water bowls (he want miss it) and filled it with coconut coir. I am surprised at how moist it stays. I am hoping that this hide plus daily soakings will keep him hydrated enough. Today I soaked him 3 times because of the low humidity we are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.