wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have to agree, female.
Going by tail area.
Is there any plastron concaving?
How old is her estimated age if she/you ever got one?
That being said. The leopard I rescued years ago, was sexed by many on here as a female, myself included. She was way under size for the age she was supposed to be. Once she got rehabbed, she grew and caught up with the positive male I already had of same age, past him in size and turned out to be a male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You know how occasionally a human is born with mixed up gender organs, or identities? Mary/Knobby definitely has female anal scutes, but her gular is male. However, I'm goin' with Norcal tortoise guy's assessment - female

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Whew! Mary needs to be a female only for her new home...guess I could have washed her...she's spent a winter pooping inside...poor tort...
the definitive answer is female, no Barb, no concave plastron...
She was rescued by some guy who found her living on the street in downtown Portland Oregon with the political gang...antifa...being fed whatever they ate, hamburgers and pizza...she ate pizza! She is pyramided and there is just no way to judge her age...being pyramided I figure she is small for whatever age she is...I thought 10 years...why? I don't know....

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Looking forward to hearing about her new life. I hope we get to keep hearing about her antics
well, me too...only I have found out that not everyone makes a pet out of a giant species....not everyone writes about how fun and funny they are...Unfortunately, Mary is going to a keeper who has many Sulcata and Mary will be part of a creep of Sulcata and that keeper won't treat Mary like a pet...she will be a tortoise among other tortoises. The unfortunate part is he won't write Mary stories...too busy with many torts
You all remember Houdini, the RF I had...because I couldn't make a closed chamber at that time, Houdini went to a popular Forum keeper...she loves him and he's happy, but she doesn't write about him like I did. Most people are not writers or story tellers. I believe I am a frustrated writer, remember my Bob stories? So much fun to write... and Mary was fun to write about alsoDSCN0179.JPG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Mary has a strong personality. Who knows, maybe she'll stand out of the crowd and make him to write some posts. Something in the "Bob, the Jerk" style..