Call out to UK based tort owners about hibernation!

Moi Hutton

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good morning all!
I was wondering how other UK based tort owners are managing with this very cold spell? My old Greek is brumating at the moment in our insulated shed. Went to check his temp this morning and he was 0 so I brought him inside in a panic. He’s still alive after giving him a gentle poke but I’m worried as my house is warm and there isn’t anywhere that gets to a suitably cold temp other than the shed. It’s meant to get even colder this week so wondered if any one has tips for me? Thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good morning all!
I was wondering how other UK based tort owners are managing with this very cold spell? My old Greek is brumating at the moment in our insulated shed. Went to check his temp this morning and he was 0 so I brought him inside in a panic. He’s still alive after giving him a gentle poke but I’m worried as my house is warm and there isn’t anywhere that gets to a suitably cold temp other than the shed. It’s meant to get even colder this week so wondered if any one has tips for me? Thanks in advance!
You probably just saved your tortoises life!

Read this:

You aren't the first to ask.

Moi Hutton

UK
Thanks! I think the fridge is the best place for him as the weather is so unpredictable. Got him boxed and settled in already. He’s in a cardboard shoebox for now but will get a plastic one later today if that’s more suitable?
Thanks for your help!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thanks! I think the fridge is the best place for him as the weather is so unpredictable. Got him boxed and settled in already. He’s in a cardboard shoebox for now but will get a plastic one later today if that’s more suitable?
Thanks for your help!

cardboard just absorbs moisture, depending on the fridge it may get a bit soggy and is a mold risk.

Moi Hutton

UK
Thanks! Feel so much better knowing he’s safe in the fridge!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I gave up with box hibernation after 40 years because the weather has become too unpredictable. A sudden double digit warm snap or plummeting as it has now.

We bought Joe his own fridge so we weren’t constantly disturbing him in the kitchen one. (Also at 3.5kg he took up a lot of room) It comes in very handy for cold drinks in the summer after he has vacated it.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I gave up with box hibernation after 40 years because the weather has become too unpredictable. A sudden double digit warm snap or plummeting as it has now.

We bought Joe his own fridge so we weren’t constantly disturbing him in the kitchen one. (Also at 3.5kg he took up a lot of room) It comes in very handy for cold drinks in the summer after he has vacated it.

what fridge do you use?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks! Feel so much better knowing he’s safe in the fridge!
Two months ago before I found Tortoise Forum, I would have said "who in their right mind would refrigerate a live tort?" Glad you got your tort in the fridge for the rest of his brumation.