Calcium stones???

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsykaysen

5 Year Member
My 7 year old torty passed a stone about 1" in diameter. His pooper is stretched out. I took him to the herp vet, she said the loose skin would turn black & slough off. He was on antibiotics for 10 days.
His skin is black around his butt, it hasn't come off & his pooper is still stretched. Will it ever go down to its normal size?? HELP

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Patsy:

Wow! I've seen quite a few prolapses and quite a few swollen cloacas (poopers), but I've never heard that one (about it turning black and falling off). I think if its black, that means that part is dead and yes, it well eventually fall off. But at what expense to the tortoise? In my opinion, the vet should have done something to decrease the swelling before the tissue died. I think you need to get another opinion. Where are you located and I'll look up a vet in your area.

Just for your future experience, stones are sometimes caused by the tortoise not being kept well-hydrated. So from now on I'd like to suggest that you wet his food and soak him in a tub of water at least once a week. At 7 years he's probably pretty big, huh?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
at 7 i would think a one inch stone should have been easy for him to pass.. Compared to my guys poop size.. but pooper -rectum and Urethra are different...
What is the diet and water intake like? outside?

patsykaysen

5 Year Member
Laura,
He eats romaine lettuce, bananas, carrots, apples, hay pellets, tomatoes, VegAll. He's usually outside, he has a heat/basking light. I bring him inside when it's cold @ night. His water intake/soaks is like 2x a week. When that first happened, the vet had me soaking him 2x a day.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

you might concider reducing his sugar intake! I doupt it had anything to do with the stone, but Sulcatas don't process sugars very well. A treat of fruit is always nice but never as a staple to the diet. Leafy greens, weeds and assorted grasses should compose 90% of his diet.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Does he have grass to graze when he is outside? Try getting him to eat grass hay.. like horses eat. put a handfull in front of him and sprinkle his greens on top and mix it a bit.. so he has to eat some hay along with the greens. He might take to it right away or not. They need a high fiber diet.. less /no fruit.. dark greens..
Mine are outside year round. They have a heated house outside. You can try setting something up like that..

Status
Not open for further replies.