Bladder stones?

jabbamama

Our hatchling is roughly 4months old and doing great. He had some urates for a little while in his urine but they were the right consistency so we didn't worry. He hasn't had them in a couple of weeks which we attributed to switching his diet to make it more varied, as we found out we didn't originally have him on the best diet. He eats great, soaks daily, drinks, and always has fresh water in his enclosure. We mist him a few times a day to keep humidity up too. His basking spot it about 90snd the other side is kept around 80. His diet consists of fresh organic wheat grass and orchard hay daily. He also gets endive and/or radish once or twice per week. It's winter and we can't get weeds right now. He gets calcium plus d3sprinkled on his food three times a week.

I just took him out of his soaking tub and went to wipe him off, since he had a little feces stuck to his tail. When I wiped there was some gritty urates that were harder than before. Not much but still there. Should I be worried? He didn't actually pee it out, I just wiped it off.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am interested to see what the experts will say. I am thinking too young for stones, and with your routine, i see no reason for gritty urates. Maybe something else he ate or even just something he walked through? What substrate are you using? Hatchlings will typically not eat hay. Endive and escarole are good choices.

jabbamama

His substrate is coco coir. He loves the orchard hay because it's softer. Plus I cut it and soften it more in water and mix it with the wheat grass which is his favorite.

jabbamama

When he had the urates about a month ago everyone said it was normal as long as it was just a little gritty but mostly like toothpaste which it was

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never really heard that a little gritty was fine. However, your routine does sound fine. Maybe soak him longer daily. If you are not soaking for 20-30 minutes do so. I thinking that maybe it was something else, is that at all possible? See what Yvonne says.

jabbamama

Update... He peed this morning and it was urates. Grittier than before. I know this is a sign of dehydration which shocks me because we soak him at least a half hour a day, he always has fresh water in his enclosure, and we spray his Rubbermaid a few times a day to make sure it stays humid. Any other suggestions? This can be reversed right?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Feed more wet foods. It is absolutely reversible. Weeds and grass are the best foods. In the winter i have to use grocery greens and grass. Use a large variety of escarole endive kale mustard and collard greens radichio and spring mix. I have never heard of any under 3 years old eating hay. Mist the food so it's damp.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Cucumber has LOTS of water in it (not much nutrition, but lots of water)!:)