Calcium in Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
If I feed my one year old sulcata Mazuri 2-3 times a week should I still add calcium.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
The trace amount of calcium in Mazuri is not adequate to forego another source. However, if you were to feed cactus (prickly pear) every few day, that would provide the adequate calcium needed...plus it would be an excellent source of fiber.

welly

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
The trace amount of calcium in Mazuri is not adequate to forego another source. However, if you were to feed cactus (prickly pear) every few day, that would provide the adequate calcium needed...plus it would be an excellent source of fiber.

hi DeanS, I want to ask how to feed tortoises a cactus?
thanks.

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California
Well from what I gather you get a panel of oputna and de-needle it then depending on size of tort cut it into smaller pieces.

welly

5 Year Member
Emorales said:
Well from what I gather you get a panel of oputna and de-needle it then depending on size of tort cut it into smaller pieces.

hi Emorales, thanks for answering..
remove only the needle, so we don't have to remove the outer skin of the cactus?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mazuri is about 1% calcium, with a Ca: P of about 2:1, and is designed to not need additional supplementation of any type. The stuff even has vitamin D3 in it.

Plus, Mazuri Tortoise Diet is designed to provide tortoises with high amounts of dietary fiber.

http://www.mazuri.com has several good articles on the topic (although you cannot apparently directly link to them for some reason. Dang.)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Madkins007 said:
Mazuri is about 1% calcium, with a Ca: P of about 2:1, and is designed to not need additional supplementation of any type. The stuff even has vitamin D3 in it.

Plus, Mazuri Tortoise Diet is designed to provide tortoises with high amounts of dietary fiber.

http://www.mazuri.com has several good articles on the topic (although you cannot apparently directly link to them for some reason. Dang.)

OOH! the label says .01%...perhaps a typo...well! that makes all the difference in the world!:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
DeanS said:
Madkins007 said:

OOH! the label says .01%...perhaps a typo...well! that makes all the difference in the world!:p

I was wondering where the comment came from. That is a lot different than the numbers on the site- which I would hope were accurate... but you never really know.

C

c1ark2

If there is enough and more calcium found on cactus, then that would be all that is needed for a tortoise so I am glad that even if one were to give the cactus some food in a few days gap, I am sure there is all the calcium that it needs. I think there is nothing more a tortoise wants especially as it has good contents of fiber. Anyway, make sure that you remove the thorns from the cactus before you feed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.