Calcium frequency

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Like every new Tortoise mom I want to make sure my little guy is eating right. At the moment he is primarily on dark leafy lettuces, endive and escarole mostly, and I'm photo checking the types of leafy veg I have in my back yard to verify it is edible before I bring any in. I'm avoiding the front yard, but we have never used pesticides in our back yard and they don't spray in our area so I'm fairy certain anything there is safe. All that being said my concern at the moment is the amount of calcium. This is what I have worked out based on my research...

Archimedes is around 9 months old, based on the history given to me by his previous people. I'm putting his birthday somewhere in April, so he is still a young guy and all the research says that younger torts and breeding females need supplements 2-3 times a week. I have put his powder in a set of "peas in a pod" salt and pepper shakers a friend of my mom gave me and I just add a little to his breakfast and then mix it up to make sure it is fairly well distributed and absorbed. I'm doing this Monday, Wednesday and Friday and skipping the weekend. Does that sound fairly reasonable? and then when he is a little older I'll drop it to Monday and Friday and then later drop it to Monday. I also keep the cuttlebone in his habitat but he uses it more for basking then gnawing lol.

Any other suggestions or does this sound about right? Thanks!

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
jackmeggers said:
Like every new Tortoise mom I want to make sure my little guy is eating right. At the moment he is primarily on dark leafy lettuces, endive and escarole mostly, and I'm photo checking the types of leafy veg I have in my back yard to verify it is edible before I bring any in. I'm avoiding the front yard, but we have never used pesticides in our back yard and they don't spray in our area so I'm fairy certain anything there is safe. All that being said my concern at the moment is the amount of calcium. This is what I have worked out based on my research...

Archimedes is around 9 months old, based on the history given to me by his previous people. I'm putting his birthday somewhere in April, so he is still a young guy and all the research says that younger torts and breeding females need supplements 2-3 times a week. I have put his powder in a set of "peas in a pod" salt and pepper shakers a friend of my mom gave me and I just add a little to his breakfast and then mix it up to make sure it is fairly well distributed and absorbed. I'm doing this Monday, Wednesday and Friday and skipping the weekend. Does that sound fairly reasonable? and then when he is a little older I'll drop it to Monday and Friday and then later drop it to Monday. I also keep the cuttlebone in his habitat but he uses it more for basking then gnawing lol.

Any other suggestions or does this sound about right? Thanks!

i would just leave a tablespoon in a corner. they will eat it when they want to. they know when they do and seem to relish it all on its own..