Cactus..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

I got some cactus, scraped it, and fixed it all.

I put it in there with bullet, and he didn't really seem to enjoy it that much.

I was for sure he would like it.

Bullet is doing great though, and his shyness is no more. He also likes to charge his food. :/ Is there anything I can do to stop that, or is that just something that is naturally going to happen?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sullies are big ole' bullies. That he does that is a sign of health and vitality. Sulcatas just aren't subtle.

As far as the new food, try cutting it up into small pieces, and sprinkling a small amount of the regular food that he's used to. Also, skip feeding for one day and then the next day soak him real good to "empty" him out. Then, let him warm up and he ought to eat anything you put in front of him. After a while he'll get used to it and you can just feed him regularly. I like to do this with any drastically new food, if nothing else just to get their digestive system used to it.

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Chico , California
Hagrid would eat cactus all the time but recently we moved and since then he has stopped .. the only thing he eats now is spring mix and the grassland tortoise pellets , and once in a while his cuttle bone.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks for the laugh! :D

That's a very funny image, of Bullet charging his food. Does he then maul it as he eats it to make sure it's dead? ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Andy_Panda said:
Hagrid would eat cactus all the time but recently we moved and since then he has stopped .. the only thing he eats now is spring mix and the grassland tortoise pellets , and once in a while his cuttle bone.

Picky tortoises become hungry tortoises at my house.

I

Italianlnm

LOL Steph, He likes to run over it a few times, and then he will turn around and start digging in.. Is is actually pretty funny to watch.

This isn't his main diet, I just thought I would try some cactus with him. He definately did not like it though, or he was to busy eating what else he was on his slate.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Lol, that is a silly image of Bullet ramming his food. That reminds me of Ichabod ramming the alow vera plant in his enclosure. I kept wondering why it was knocked down when I came home from work and then low and behold one day I saw him just bulldoze right into it. Sullys are such characters!

Thanks for the tip on introducing new food roachman. I will make sure I try that next time I try to give Icky something different. :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
BethyB1022 said:
Lol, that is a silly image of Bullet ramming his food. That reminds me of Ichabod ramming the alow vera plant in his enclosure. I kept wondering why it was knocked down when I came home from work and then low and behold one day I saw him just bulldoze right into it.

Haha, that sounds like the story of Yvonne's big Sully Dudley, and some unfortunate rose bushes that had been inadvertently planted on his patrol path.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.