Cactus pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Ok so I got som pads for my tort but he won't touch them even if I mix with food he loves. Any suggestions? I was thinking of playing hard lol and only offer cactus for a few days and see if he gives in. Is this a bad idea?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
It is a new food---also it is kinda a distinct smell/taste--perhaps you can blend some up (puree like) and then cut the other greens up really small (small in relation to your tort size) and then in a bowl mix the greens and the cactus puree in and give it a good toss to mix it all up into the greens but not ALOT of the puree at the first time--as your tort eats the greens it will acquire the taste for the cactus....and keep in mind, not all torts enjoy cactus--they just simply don't all love it..I have a CDT here who will choke some down if I insist---lol...but acts like he would rather pinch his nostrils first so he does not have to taste or smell it--it is rather funny actually...

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Lol ok thanks for the tip I will try it

Ok so I puréed it and mixed with mazzuri and he ate it up. I will do that for a while then maybe he will eat it on its own. I've heard cactus pads are really good for them

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
Interesting, mine treat it like candy. I grow my own, not sure of the cultivar as I got the original piece from a neighbor.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My leopards will only eat it if I cut it in half even the fruit must be cut in half or they will let it spoil , and the AZ desert torts will only eat pad that are 3 inches or smaller

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
I need to get a video of mine eating it one of these days. I hold whole 12+ inch pads firmly in my hand and they devour them. When they get to the really fibrous part near the base they bite down and pull so hard with their necks and front legs that they throw me off balance. I weigh 190 lbs. My bigger guy is only a 16 inch baby. They do not leave any scraps. When it gets too small for me to hold they continue to work on it using their from legs to help tear it up and eat every bit.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are creatures of habit. If they are unfamiliar with a new food, it can take a couple of months of introducing small amounts to get them to eat it. In the case of opuntia pads, it is really worth the effort. When sulcatas start getting bigger, it can get exceedingly difficult to find enough food for them. Its pretty convenient when you can go outside, hack off a couple of pads, toss it in the enclosure and walk away.

J REED

5 Year Member
Tom how would these grow in the Alabama climate if I planted in my yard?

Jeremy

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
J REED said:

Jeremy

I am not Tom, but I am sure they will grow just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
J REED said:

Jeremy

They grow very well in South Florida. There are many varieties. Len has found one that survives the winters in Virginia. Do you get snow?

One technique is to cut some pads off of one that grows somewhere near you. Obviously if you find a mature stand somewhere it will survive in your climate. If not you can grow them in large pots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are tortoise edible cactus that will grow here in Chicago as long as they have sun to dry out. I don't have enough sun in my yard to plant them, other then in pots so I can move them inside. You should be able to grow them. Plant in a nice sunny spot that also gets sun in the winter. Also not a high moisture spot.

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
J REED said:
You just stick it in the ground?

Jeremy

Yep, just bury from a third to a half of it in the ground in a well drained sunny spot and it will grow. When I first moved to my bigger property, I brought a big branch from one of my mature ones at my little house and threw it in the yard to plant later. A week later when I went to plant it, it was stuck to the ground because little roots had sprouted from the parts that were touching soil. Apparently, they often spread like this in nature when flash floods in desert canyons carry pads away and they take root.

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cactus pads

thereptileenthusiast said:
J REED said:
You just stick it in the ground?

Jeremy

Yep, just bury from a third to a half of it in the ground in a well drained sunny spot and it will grow. When I first moved to my bigger property, I brought a big branch from one of my mature ones at my little house and threw it in the yard to plant later. A week later when I went to plant it, it was stuck to the ground because little roots had sprouted from the parts that were touching soil. Apparently, they often spread like this in nature when flash floods in desert canyons carry pads away and they take root.

Wow awesome

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is how I do it:
1. Cut a pad off of an established stand. I like to use pads that are at least one year old, and thick.
2. Lay the pad somewhere with good ventilation, but not in direct sun, and wait about two weeks for the cut end to scar over.
3. Stick about 1/3 - 1/2 of the pad, scarred end down into some dry dirt and male a basin around it.
4. Leave it alone and don't water it for about a month.
5. After a month has passed, water as needed. I don't water mine at all during out winter rainy season, but I water once or twice a week during our super dry hot summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.