Cactus pads

Mr. turtle

Today at lowes in my town, i bought a opuntia cactus. It is the strawflower opuntia species. I hear at home depot, they spray poison on their plants. Should i keep it, or trash it? Here is a picture. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503363668.464438.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503363710.796512.jpg

Mr. turtle

Keep it but don't feed it yet. Wash all the dirt off that came with it. Replant in chemical free dirt. Let grow for until next year and then only feed new growth.
I will keep it, but i am going to buy some on ebay. There is a lady that sells them on ebay specifically for torts. It is the spineless kind, and its cheap. I will buy some of those and pot them too. Thanks for the advice as well. I don't have my tortoises yet, but in about two to three weeks i am buying them from a trust worthy breeder. Thanks!

Loritort

Location (City and/or State)
I will keep it, but i am going to buy some on ebay. There is a lady that sells them on ebay specifically for torts. It is the spineless kind, and its cheap. I will buy some of those and pot them too. Thanks for the advice as well. I don't have my tortoises yet, but in about two to three weeks i am buying them from a trust worthy breeder. Thanks!
Sounds good:) You definitely seem to know your stuff. Best of luck to you.

Loritort

Well, I didn't do much research in the beginning. I know considerably more now. My tortie is my best friend. I love him soo much! Good luck to you:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I believe one of our active members here on the forum owns, grows, and sells the spineless type of cactus. These would be certain to be tortoise safe regarding chemicals and such. You might go to the garden section and ask over there.
Although I find eBay to be fantastic for many things, a growing plant I would be feeding my tortoises is not something I'd be willing to risk. Just a thought for you.

Mr. turtle

I believe one of our active members here on the forum owns, grows, and sells the spineless type of cactus. These would be certain to be tortoise safe regarding chemicals and such. You might go to the garden section and ask over there.
Although I find eBay to be fantastic for many things, a growing plant I would be feeding my tortoises is not something I'd be willing to risk. Just a thought for you.
Thanks man!

Mr. turtle

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503441677.769361.jpg
So i repotted a cactus pad, and put it in Miracle grow cactus and citrus soil, and have misted it down, and put a little water in the tray at the bottom. When the pads grow in, could i feed it to the tortoises or should i wait.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 216237
So i repotted a cactus pad, and put it in Miracle grow cactus and citrus soil, and have misted it down, and put a little water in the tray at the bottom. When the pads grow in, could i feed it to the tortoises or should i wait.

Don't water newly planted pads. They need to stay dry for about a month.

I can't make out what is going on in your picture. I see a freshly cut end sticking up.

For planting, its best to use a pad that is at least a year or two old. Cut the pad of the cactus stand and let the cut end scar over and dry up for a week or two. Then place the cut end of the pad about 1/3 to 1/2 into dry soil. After about one month water as needed, but let it dry out between waterings. Indoors it should not need water more than once every week or two in summer. Outdoors in a hot dry climate, a potted one might need water every other day.

If you go into your user profile and put in your location we can give you better advice tailored to your area. Different advice for Mesa, AZ vs. Millinocket, MN.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Don't water newly planted pads. They need to stay dry for about a month.

I can't make out what is going on in your picture. I see a freshly cut end sticking up.

For planting, its best to use a pad that is at least a year or two old. Cut the pad of the cactus stand and let the cut end scar over and dry up for a week or two. Then place the cut end of the pad about 1/3 to 1/2 into dry soil. After about one month water as needed, but let it dry out between waterings. Indoors it should not need water more than once every week or two in summer. Outdoors in a hot dry climate, a potted one might need water every other day.

If you go into your user profile and put in your location we can give you better advice tailored to your area. Different advice for Mesa, AZ vs. Millinocket, MN.

This is the way to do it. Planted about 30 earlier this year. I did water them in though. Mulched heavily with some chips and haven't watered since. All are growing well and have nice color. We have a few that we started a couple year ago like this and they provide the new cuttings and lots of tortoise food.