cactus growing OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I have an opuntia cactus plant growing right now. I can't remember how long I have had it, but at least 3-4 months.

Does the growth look normal for a cactus? I mean when do the pads start to broaden out? Was hoping to feed some of it to them eventually, but doesn't look like any time soon!
Cactus1.jpg

The last one I had failed (roots rotted). And I only watered that one once every 2-3 weeks. This one I am waiting even longer and it still looks good in terms of the roots and what not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your poor cactus is stretching up towards the light. Is there any way you can place it by a sunny window? Or even out on the patio?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've planted dozens of those over the years. Some of them take off and start growing new pads within a couple of weeks, and others just sit there for months until they start growing. I've never seen one with pads that shape before. Kinda interesting.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
emysemys said:
Your poor cactus is stretching up towards the light. Is there any way you can place it by a sunny window? Or even out on the patio?

Oh? I actually mounted a grow light just for the Aloe and cactus.

So having overhead lights on the cactus is bad then? I can definitely put it by a window, but outside won't work for the rest of the winter.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Seiryu, That cactus is going to need a good light to thrive through your winter. How tall is that cactus and how tall is the Aloe? A regular grow light bulb from a large "box" hardware store probably wont cut it for a plant that tall. The problem is, as I'm sure you can tell, is that the lights energy wont reach the entire plant and if its above that opuntia it definately wont reach a small aloe. You might want to either get a large H.I.D. Lamp or you might want to break off the top of that opuntia into a couple of pieces and grow 3 instead of one. Opuntia cactus roots really easy, all you have to do is break off the ears and put them in dirt broken side down and in no time roots. This will allow you to use your light more effectively and plus you get three plants out of it. I'm only going on your picture and assuming that your not using a 600w or 1000w H.I.D.. As far as root rot goes, make sure you have good draining medium. I use Sunshine Mix # 4 and mix in sand (playsand form Home Depot) and quarter inch black or red cinder (I live in Hawaii the stuff is everywhere and free), you might have to substitute with something else or use more sand and dont over water. I'm an electrician by trade but my other passion besides tortoises is Indoor Hydroponic Growing :0). Ive been doing it 20 years and I'm a plant freak. Good Luck

moswen

5 Year Member
yep, trying to get to the light. where do you live? they can usually withstand temps in the 40's, put it oustide for a little while longer, and get it a bulb! even if it dies, i had two opuntia species of plants last year forgotten in a closet in my garage, and they died, so in the spring i put them outside intending to clean out the pots but got distracted for a few days, and lo and behold! they came back to life! literally, one pad actually came back to life, but the others got a green line all over them and sprouted like 5 pads where the green lines were, and they grew to huge healthy pads before summer was even full-on.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
moswen said:
yep, trying to get to the light. where do you live? they can usually withstand temps in the 40's, put it oustide for a little while longer, and get it a bulb! even if it dies, i had two opuntia species of plants last year forgotten in a closet in my garage, and they died, so in the spring i put them outside intending to clean out the pots but got distracted for a few days, and lo and behold! they came back to life! literally, one pad actually came back to life, but the others got a green line all over them and sprouted like 5 pads where the green lines were, and they grew to huge healthy pads before summer was even full-on.

I'm in Michigan. Night time temps are getting to be low 40s. Soon the frost will come, then snow, and more snow!

What do you mean "get in a bulb"?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would add a second or even third light, at different heights and angles. I personally do not use "grow" lights, but just G.E. Daylight CFLs for growing plants, even in my aquariums.

As far as watering - check the weather channel. When it rains in Arizona, water the cactus. Otherwise leave it alone :p I had to learn that trick because I killed every cactus I bought for years, watering them too much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
I would add a second or even third light, at different heights and angles. I personally do not use "grow" lights, but just G.E. Daylight CFLs for growing plants, even in my aquariums.

As far as watering - check the weather channel. When it rains in Arizona, water the cactus. Otherwise leave it alone :p I had to learn that trick because I killed every cactus I bought for years, watering them too much.

I find it so interesting how things can be so opposite depending on where you live. For the last couple of years, I haven't been watering my opuntia enough. They've always grown pretty slowly and sometimes they'd get lighter colored and wilt a little in the hot summer sun. This year, I planted some new ones in an area that I water frequently and the new ones took off like never before. I made little water basins and started watering the other, older ones every couple of days during hot weather and they took off too. They've been thirsty all this time.

I do think you are right though. Most people do water them too much. I have an unusual situation out here.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Tom said:
kyryah said:

I find it so interesting how things can be so opposite depending on where you live. For the last couple of years, I haven't been watering my opuntia enough. They've always grown pretty slowly and sometimes they'd get lighter colored and wilt a little in the hot summer sun. This year, I planted some new ones in an area that I water frequently and the new ones took off like never before. I made little water basins and started watering the other, older ones every couple of days during hot weather and they took off too. They've been thirsty all this time.

I do think you are right though. Most people do water them too much. I have an unusual situation out here.

I would agree, I have some in containers and some in the ground, we got 63" of rain at my house last year and they called it a drought and my opuntia , all of them went "off" grew like mad. I must have also rooted, from broken pads at least 50-60 and gave those to other tortoise people. My friend found a thornless opuntia in Makena 2 years ago so I've been "hot" on propagating them and giving them out.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Wow... I have planted a few that I'm watching, but I haven't seen any growth on them. Mine are outside though. I agree that more lighting in other angles would probably help.

Status
Not open for further replies.