Cactus fruit seeds

Britney McCarty

I just bought cactus fruit for my red footed tortoise and wanted to know if the seeds are safe for them to consume. This fruit is very seedy. Thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I just bought cactus fruit for my red footed tortoise and wanted to know if the seeds are safe for them to consume. This fruit is very seedy. Thanks
I can't answer your question. But I'm going to guess its OK. They will eat everything in the wild. Also I believe they eat seeds and pass through the body whole, one of natures way of spreading seeds for germination in a larger area. Be interesting if anyone can elaborate on this subject.

Britney McCarty

Thanks I just saved a tortoise from a bad situation. I saw her online for 20 bucks but they had her in a 10 gallon aquarium and was feeding her aquatic turtle pellets. I took her to the vet but he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the species. I'm not sure if I have a red or yellow footed but we love her already. Her shell is messed up but with some tlc she'll be perfect. Her name is Hope

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks I just saved a tortoise from a bad situation. I saw her online for 20 bucks but they had her in a 10 gallon aquarium and was feeding her aquatic turtle pellets. I took her to the vet but he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the species. I'm not sure if I have a red or yellow footed but we love her already. Her shell is messed up but with some tlc she'll be perfect. Her name is Hope
Cool. We have some unwritten rules on this forum;). One is photos. :rolleyes: please please. We all love photos. In you case make sure one is of the head showing above the nose to see if its red or yellow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seeds and peels are fine. Just don't offer the tortoise something with seeds too large to pass through the throat easily. My YF tortoises will eat pebbles if I don't feed them something occasionally that contains seeds. It seems they need something like that for their digestion.

Some fruit seeds contain cyanide, however, the seed would have to be chewed for the poison to harm the tortoise, and most seeds pass through the digestive tract harmlessly to be deposited in the poop whole.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Errrrr. @Yvonne G . I'm :confused:. I expected a redfoots or yellowfoot tort. Think this is for your expert I'd.

Britney McCarty

So it's not a yellow or red footed tortoise? I've been trying to figure out what she is. I told the vet what I was thinking and he said let me go look her up on the computer and basically agreed saying it's a red footed tortoise

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I could definitely be wrong though. The poor little thing has led a hard life. I'm glad you have given it a new home.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I think that's a box turtle. The good news is they love fruit. They also eat worms, crickets etc.
I think your right. @Yvonne G . your help needed. I think there's a major difference in care from a redfoots to a box turtle. Man this vet got it wrong.

Britney McCarty

I think your right. @Yvonne G . your help needed. I think there's a major difference in care from a redfoots to a box turtle. Man this vet got it wrong.
Wow glad I asked. He gave her an injection of enrofloxcine if anyone has had a sick turtle and wanted me to continue injections for 15 days but she refused to eat for 2 days and was very lethargic so I didn't do the treatment, it's still sitting in my cabinet. My thought behind it was food is more important right now than antibiotics. Thanks for ya'lls help

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wow glad I asked. He gave her an injection of enrofloxcine if anyone has had a sick turtle and wanted me to continue injections for 15 days but she refused to eat for 2 days and was very lethargic so I didn't do the treatment, it's still sitting in my cabinet. My thought behind it was food is more important right now than antibiotics. Thanks for ya'lls help
I can't help you with this species. But please don't give it any injections until someone experienced has spoke to you on here. I'm not sure who to tag in other than Yvonne. So I I'll try @tortadise and @domalle

Britney McCarty

I can't help you with this species. But please don't give it any injections until someone experienced has spoke to you on here. I'm not sure who to tag in other than Yvonne. So I I'll try @tortadise and @domalle
I don't plan on doing the injections since the vet didn't seem knowledgeable enough about her. Her shell was soaked in water daily since she was being treated like a aquatic turtle so I believe she has shell rot. I'm hoping it gets better with the proper nutrition and lighting now that she's set up correctly ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't plan on doing the injections since the vet didn't seem knowledgeable enough about her. Her shell was soaked in water daily since she was being treated like a aquatic turtle so I believe she has shell rot. I'm hoping it gets better with the proper nutrition and lighting now that she's set up correctly ;)
I believe he's injected it with baytril.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Did this turtle have any land to be on or was it basically mostly in the water? Box turtles like humidity and they like water, some of them like to swim. I don't know anything about treating shell rot so hopefully some more experienced people will come along soon and give you more information that you need.
I would find a new vet :) check out the vet section on here, there's a listing for just about every state. I do know to never let any vet give them a vitamin injection. I would get a cuttlebone and make sure you have a good UVB light or she gets outside daily. They love being outdoors so depending on where you live hopefully you can build an outdoor enclosure for a good part of the year. Find some worms or pill bugs or crickets out in the yard. Try some greens and a little overripe fruit.

Britney McCarty

Did this turtle have any land to be on or was it basically mostly in the water? Box turtles like humidity and they like water, some of them like to swim. I don't know anything about treating shell rot so hopefully some more experienced people will come along soon and give you more information that you need.
I would find a new vet :) check out the vet section on here, there's a listing for just about every state. I do know to never let any vet give them a vitamin injection. I would get a cuttlebone and make sure you have a good UVB light or she gets outside daily. They love being outdoors so depending on where you live hopefully you can build an outdoor enclosure for a good part of the year. Find some worms or pill bugs or crickets out in the yard. Try some greens and a little overripe fruit.
Mostly water had a water filter and everything hooked up to it and she had one little stone she could get on. She didn't have a uvb light when I got her. We have her set up in a large aquarium now with repti bark for bedding, a place to hide and a little area with water. She has a basking light and a uvb light too

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Hello Craig. It is a box turtle in very poor condition making specific identification near impossible but it seems to have three toes on the hind foot.
So Terrapene carolina triunguis, the Three-Toed Box Turtle probably.