Cactus Fruit seeds?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
This time of the year in Southern California there is a lot of cactus fruit available. I have found some the have few seeds in them and others that are filled with seeds. The seeds are very hard. I would not want to bite into one. Is it safe for my sulcata to eat these seeds?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is your sully? The seeds I have seen in the cactus fruit I have bought were really tiny. I don't remove them.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
wellington said:
How big is your sully? The seeds I have seen in the cactus fruit I have bought were really tiny. I don't remove them.

Chuck is 35lbs. He can certainly consume the seeds. When I ate some I bit into a seed and couldn't crush it. Luckily I didn't crack a crown! So I am concerned that the seeds could cause him some intestinal or digestive problem. The fruit I have today has just too many seeds to pick them out. All I give him is the skin, for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes it is quite safe and ok for a tortoise to eat the seeds in the fruits they find on the ground during their wanderings. Dispersal of those seeds is what keeps the plants growing in other spots besides where the mother plant is situated. If it is small enough to swallow, it is safe for him to eat them.