Cactus for Box Turtles

howardjoseph

Location (City and/or State)
Chico, Ca.
Can box turtles eat Burbank Spineless Cactus? Do I need to dice it up? Also, how do you regulate humidity for indoor box turtles? Of course temperature can easily be adjusted? Thanks for your response. Howard

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Can box turtles eat Burbank Spineless Cactus? Do I need to dice it up?
Thanks for your response. Howard
Hi Howard! Welcome to the forum! Opuntia ficus-indica 'Burbank Spineless' cactus should be fine to feed box turtles, but to be on the safe side, remove any traces of spines (or the places where they would normally grow). Then cut it into reasonably small pieces for the box turtle. There are other forum members with much more experience on feeding cactus to box turtles and tortoises, so hopefully they can weigh in on this one.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Also, how do you regulate humidity for indoor box turtles? Of course temperature can easily be adjusted?
How to regulate humidity in indoor enclosures depends largely on how those enclosures are set up...especially what substrate is being used. What is your set-up like?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
To hold in humidity cover most of the enclosure. You can use plexiglass or plastic clear shower curtains. Create a homemade greenhouse....

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You can also make a humid hide box. You can buy a $1-2 plastic shoe box, cut a hole the size of your turtle, and flip it upside down. You’ll need to keep your temperatures controlled to keep your humidity up. I suggest you use coco coir as well