Buying a tortoise

talal

Location (City and/or State)
Karachi Pakistan
This is his enclosure (i know its small but i will upgrade it within a month once i get the tortoise supplies i ordered) the dimensions are 18 inches by i think 8-9 inches and 12 inches

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_191450.jpg
    IMG_20240311_191450.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 2

talal

Karachi Pakistan
I also basically got a adult russian tortoise as a gift as my uncle didn't want it anymore(his children's bored i have made him a temporary setup as i want to quarantine him before letting him go with my other russian in the garden however he has a slight issue his one back leg has toes bent inwards idk why i asked my uncle he said its been the same since when he got him he is eating good and eats from my hand too but hides all day and he hates soaks and has abit of pyramiding and his eyes seem abit watery (i am not sure maybe i was looking too closely lol) i will share pics tmrw he is active in the morning but as soon as i uncover his top which remains like that all day he hides in his pot. I am feeding it Egyptian clover romaine lettuce and a very small of carrots and cucumbers and coriander i got him 2 days ago i soaked him today and his poop basically spread out but the poop in his enclosure seems healthy

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You cannot have two tortosies together, one will bully the other to death. You need separate enclosures...

Carrots and cucumbers are not good for them

This info is good for Russians, and has link to their needs as well.

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Help! The uv bulbs i ordered i read on redsit that they aren't really good for uvb what should i do these are the only ones available can i use a CFL bulb for uvb?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318-182633.png
    Screenshot_20240318-182633.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240318-182628.png
    Screenshot_20240318-182628.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You may try to setup him a small shaded outdoor pen and let him out, under your supervision, for 15 minutes daily. After that give him a warm bath and put back in the indoors enclosure. I'm sure if that's possible - you mentioned that you need to go to work.

What CFL lamps are available to order? I would stay away from "unknown" cheapest brands (same for the fluorescent tubes - UV output is often unpredictable).

talal

Karachi Pakistan
You may try to setup him a small shaded outdoor pen and let him out, under your supervision, for 15 minutes daily. After that give him a warm bath and put back in the indoors enclosure. I'm sure if that's possible - you mentioned that you need to go to work.

What CFL lamps are available to order? I would stay away from "unknown" cheapest brands (same for the fluorescent tubes - UV output is often unpredictable).
I am talking about the basic CFL bulb used in households

talal

Karachi Pakistan
are these any good in terms of uva or uvb these are also available
Some companies advertise them as both uva and uvb some only say its good for uva

Attachments

• images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
are these any good in terms of uva or uvb these are also available
Some companies advertise them as both uva and uvb some only say its good for uva
Can you post a link to this lamp or exact maker/model, so I can look at the specifications?
It looks like an incandescent lamp - they are good for the basking zones, but have no UVB output and almost zero UVA.

talal

Karachi Pakistan
Heres the link

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Heres the link
Thank you. Unfortunately, product description doesn't give more information. This *could be* either metal halide bulb (they give out much UVA and very little to none UVB) or halogen bulb (they give very little UVA and almost zero UVB). Both lamp types are too harsh for baby tortoise shells.

At this point I think that would be better to let your tortoise outside for a little than to buy UVB bulbs of unknown quality (it's the issue with chinese lamps that quality varies and fakes are sold as well).

You may also look if delivery from Amazon regional sites or DesertCart works for you. Selection on Daraz is very limited...