"Button" turtle

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Does such a creature exist? At a local club meeting I visited with a man who said he had a "Button Turtle" It looked to me exactly like a hatchling Musk turtle but he insisted that it was sold to him as this very rare type of turtle. He was asking me how to care for it. It was very small (maybe as big as a quarter) exactly as I would expect a hatchling to be. But again he insisted that it was already at its adult size and that it would not get any bigger. I advised him to contact the seller again and make sure of what they were selling it as. Apparently the stores signage said Button Turtle..
Now I would never claim to know or be able to identify every species of turtle and tortoise. So here I am asking all of you.. Does such a turtle exist that looks like a Musk hatchling and is the size of a Musk hatchling but never gets bigger than a Musk hatchling?

Im still wishing I had taken a pic of it but I didnt.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Me neither! Just don't buy it if be tries to sell it to you:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you're here in the USA, this seems to me to be a thinly veiled attempt to get around the 4" law.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Back in the day, beach gift shops always said their hatchlings were full grown or 'only grew as big as their tank'. Sounds like someone is trying that again. That new owner is in for a surprise... at least he's at a club meeting so there's hope!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A google search revealed nothing for me. I hope you advised him to care for it like a baby musk turtle. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've heard of stinkpot/musk hatchlings being sold as such, so that would be my guess.

Cowboy_Ken said:
If you're here in the USA, this seems to me to be a thinly veiled attempt to get around the 4" law.

Not sure I understand how this would be applicable.