Burying and dehydration

A

Annie G

This is Annie, hello!
I just have a couple of questions about my wee one year old Horsefield tortoise Yoda, who arrived on Friday 28th September.

I have made him in a tortoise table which is 6ft by 2st and has a foot of topsoil, there's an upper gallery which means there's a dark area under there.

I'm changing his water and leaving out fresh food every day but the
thing is, he hasn't eaten or drunk since he arrived, and I know it takes them a while to settle in, but he's digging down and disappearing under the soil, should I just leave him to come out when he chooses?

Or should I be taking him out and bathing him to make sure he's hydrated?

I'm worried he buries himself alive and can't breathe down there.
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Your tortoise will need to take some time to get used to his/her new surroundings. Horsefield/Russians tortoises are experienced burrowers. There's no need to worry if your temperature and humidity levels are within the ideal range.

1. Where did you purchase your tortoise from?

Any previous care information you have been told/taught may be outdated, incorrect, and potentially dangerous to growing tortoises. We say this to new members because there are still a lot of pet retailers, rescues, veterinarian hospitals, and wild life organizations that still use these decades old care information because it was the only research studies available back in the day. Recent research and field studies have shown that many of the old care methods actually caused more harm than good.

2. That's a lot of topsoil. Are you planning to grow anything in their enclosures?

The first 2-3 years are very important in terms of a tortoise's development and growth. I would suggest sticking with daily unlimited feedings and daily 20-30 minute soakings in warm water until they grow older. After 1-2 years switch to a every other day routine.

Tortoises are diurnal creatures. This means they're most active during the day and in areas that are well lit.

Here is a very good up to date care sheet on Horsefield/Russian tortoises. New owners may not be aware that tortoises require specialized equipment and care practices:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

A

Annie G

Hi thanks, I read this info sheet too. I was wondering as I have a 160 watt bulb in a mercury vapour lamp, I real that it should be 18 inches from the top of his shell, is that right?
Thanks

A

Annie G

Would you say it's too much topsoil?
There's an inch layer of coconut coir on there too.
Smells nice....
We bought the tortoise from a breeder not far from where we live.
We've been reading voraciously since January to prepare for this wee creature.
Just want to get it right.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi thanks, I read this info sheet too. I was wondering as I have a 160 watt bulb in a mercury vapour lamp, I real that it should be 18 inches from the top of his shell, is that right?
Thanks

Personally I can't verify without seeing picture(s) of your enclosure. Though a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb is quite high. Most owners would not often need such a high wattage bulb in typical setups. An 80 watt mercury vapor bulb or even lower wattage regular incandescent flood bulb and linear florescent fixture combo would suffice.

Would you say it's too much topsoil?
There's an inch layer of coconut coir on there too.
Smells nice....
We bought the tortoise from a breeder not far from where we live.
We've been reading voraciously since January to prepare for this wee creature.
Just want to get it right.

It's more than what most people would recommend. There isn't any real drawbacks to giving your tortoise more substrate. The only issue I can think of is that it would be slightly harder to find and or spot your tortoise if it chooses to burrow.

The level of care given by the previous breeder is also an important factor in how tortoises will continue to develop. Tortoises from breeders that start their young hatchlings off in extreme dry conditions tend to have a higher chance of developing health issues and stunted growth. Many of these people mistakenly believe dryness to an accurate depiction of a tortoises' living conditions in the wild. Many recent field and research studies have hinted this to be untrue.

I would suggest asking the breeder for information on how your tortoise was started to see if any additional care may be required.

A

Annie G

Personally I can't verify without seeing picture(s) of your enclosure. Though a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb is quite high. Most owners would not often need such a high wattage bulb in typical setups. An 80 watt mercury vapor bulb or even lower wattage regular incandescent flood bulb and linear florescent fixture combo would suffice.

It's more than what most people would recommend. There isn't any real drawbacks to giving your tortoise more substrate. The only issue I can think of is that it would be slightly harder to find and or spot your tortoise if it chooses to burrow.

The level of care given by the previous breeder is also an important factor in how tortoises will continue to develop. Tortoises from breeders that start their young hatchlings off in extreme dry conditions tend to have a higher chance of developing health issues and stunted growth. Many of these people mistakenly believe dryness to an accurate depiction of a tortoises' living conditions in the wild. Many recent field and research studies have hinted this to be untrue.

I would suggest asking the breeder for information on how your tortoise was started to see if any additional care may be required.

A

Annie G

Many thanks for your advice Minority 2, I'll get on to the breeder for more information.
He started eating!!! And climbing up and down the ramp I made!!! Happy days.

A

Annie G

Managed! Now, please please, tell me the stuff you'd change.
I just thought we'd put in a foot of soil so he wasn't scrabbling on the floor of the table, he's not burying down so deeply now, seems to be enjoying the baths too.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

1. Is that lamp fixture pictured the only source of lighting your tortoise has?

If you're planning on doing more planting, consider purchasing T5 HO grow lights. Your current mercury vapor bulb may burn young plants within the vicinity that have yet to deeply root and or mature.

You may also want to clear a path across the enclosure for your tortoise so that they're able to navigate through the enclosure without unintentionally trampling or destroying anything in the process. All tortoises can't turn worth a darn.

2. How large is your current enclosure water/soaking dish?

If you have the room for a water dish upgrade I would strongly suggest doing so before you add anyone decorations or plants. An adult sized water dish such as a heavy 7.5-12 inch square/round plant saucer is a good size for inddor Horsefield/Russians.