Burrow

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The only difference between a desert tortoise's burrow and a sulcata's burrow is size.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Size isn't the only consideration for proper housing. Desert tortoises withstand colder temperatures than sulcata. This design doesn't seem to have any provision for heating during cold nights or winter months. I think it is a cool design and could be adapted to be used for a sulcata. I would start with the need to have a 4'x4'x2' high space for a single adult, plus a heater and a tunnel to get to the space. Then add to cinder block and insulation required to cover and insulate that space. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It might work for summer, but expect your sulcata to excavate it even further.

There are four problems with "burrows", either man made or natural for sulcatas in North America.
1. They can collapse.
2. They can flood.
3. Too cold in the winter.
4. No access to the tortoise.

The benefits are numerous:
1. Allows them to avoid temperature extremes, both hot and cold.
2. Allows them to get out of the rain or any harsh weather.
3. It makes them feel much more at home since wild sulcatas spend 95-98% of their lives underground.
4. If the burrow is heated, it gives them somewhere to go on cold nights and winter days.
5. Natural shell abrasion.
6. More humidity underground, which has numerous benefits.
7. Digging can properly wear down their claws.
8. Safety from most predators.
... I'm sure there are more that I will think of as soon as my 10 minute editing time is up.

Here is how I solved the first four problems while still gaining all of the listed benefits:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

It can't flood. It can't collapse. The temperature stays wherever I set it. And I have access to the tortoises anytime I want. Its great for summer, winter and all year here.