Hibernating Tortoise

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Hello from Las Vegas, NV

I am thinking about getting a Mediterranean tortoise most likely a Russian tortoise. I was wondering if anyone here has made / dug an outdoor burrow for your tortoise to hibernate outside?

I was reading the Nevada Tortoise Group website and if you adopt a Desert Tortoise, you must make a burrow for it, either above or below ground and they provide info on how to make them. http://tortoisegroup.org/burrows/ as it is required that they live outdoors year round.

So, I was thinking that since the Mediterranean species all hibernate in wild and can tolerate the Las Vegas, NV climate year round, why not make a burrow for them and let them live outdoors year round, like the desert tortoise? Wouldn't this be better for them as opposed to being in a smaller pen or indoor tortoise table during the winter?

I am hoping to get a captive breed Mediterranean tortoise (just not sure which one as I like them all :)) and make a burrow as per the specs on the tortoisegroup website to let the tortoise live in my back yard year round. I dont have any other pets, the yard is fenced in with cinder block walls has a patio covering and I covered the back gate so the tortoise will not be able to see outside the yard.

The tortoise will have access to the entire yard which is small about 600 sqft (I actually thought it was bigger around 900 sqft, but I was wrong). There will be plenty of plants, hiding places, shade, water, etc. for the tortoise to enjoy.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has done something like this. What are thoughts on doing this?

Thanks for the info.
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since I'm not familiar with the weather and soil conditions of the land where Russians come from, I'm real hesitant to allow outdoor hibernation. If conditions aren't just right, a tortoise can die during hibernation. I know that here in Central California, even though we don't get much rainfall, what we do get is too much for my tortoises to hibernate in the ground. A wet/cold tortoise is soon to be a dead tortoise. Some tortoises will make it, some won't. I don't want to chance it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I posted in your earlier thread. As I said there, I'm not sure it's cold enough in your area for a Russian to hibernate safely. They need it to be under fifty for a few months to hibernate; colder is better.

Ours hibernated in our yard by herself the first year before we realized what was happening! She didn't pick a good spot and came up while it was still pretty rainy and damp. This winter she is hibernating at forty degrees in a dorm fridge for a few months. I did a lot of reading first but it was relatively easy and cheap.

My yard is the size of yours. We've got a shallow burrow that doesn't get hotter than eighty-five but we don't have heat like you do. (You can see the entrance in my avatar.) I would want to be sure there is very deep shade. Have you read the care sheet for Russians? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/.

You may also want to look at the thread for building a night box. It can keep your tortoise cooler in the heat, similar to a burrow and perhaps a bit easier. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226

Many smart people here will tell you not to hibernate at all the first year you have a tortoise, as you don't know their behavior patterns.

turdle yerdle

IL
Many people hibernate their Russian tortoise in mini fridge for a consistent temperature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello from Las Vegas, NV

I am thinking about getting a Mediterranean tortoise most likely a Russian tortoise. I was wondering if anyone here has made / dug an outdoor burrow for your tortoise to hibernate outside?

I was reading the Nevada Tortoise Group website and if you adopt a Desert Tortoise, you must make a burrow for it, either above or below ground and they provide info on how to make them. http://tortoisegroup.org/burrows/ as it is required that they live outdoors year round.

So, I was thinking that since the Mediterranean species all hibernate in wild and can tolerate the Las Vegas, NV climate year round, why not make a burrow for them and let them live outdoors year round, like the desert tortoise? Wouldn't this be better for them as opposed to being in a smaller pen or indoor tortoise table during the winter?

I am hoping to get a captive breed Mediterranean tortoise (just not sure which one as I like them all :)) and make a burrow as per the specs on the tortoisegroup website to let the tortoise live in my back yard year round. I dont have any other pets, the yard is fenced in with cinder block walls has a patio covering and I covered the back gate so the tortoise will not be able to see outside the yard.

The tortoise will have access to the entire yard which is small about 600 sqft (I actually thought it was bigger around 900 sqft, but I was wrong). There will be plenty of plants, hiding places, shade, water, etc. for the tortoise to enjoy.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has done something like this. What are thoughts on doing this?

Thanks for the info.
:tort:

I don't think any tortoise of any species should be hibernated outside in a burrow, including desert tortoises. Its too dangerous and there are too many variables. I know of sooooo many that die this way. Flooding, unusual temperature extremes of both hot and cold, rats, ants, raccoons, etc… It is much safer and more consistent and controlled to hibernate them indoors.

Desert tortoises hibernate quite nicely at a consistent 50 degrees. Russians will be up and too active at 50. They do better around 39-40 degrees. You'll have to ask someone who has years of experience what temps would be best for hermanni or the various greeks.

Burrows are excellent for avoiding summer heat extremes, but experience has taught me that its too risky to use them for hibernation outdoors. Plus, some species like the greeks and hermanni, really don't burrow or use burrows in the wild. I think a russian would be best suited to your harsh climate there in Vegas, but if you make a large indoor enclosure to use during the extremes of summer and winter, in addition to a large outdoor enclosure for more fair weather, I think you could keep any species there.

This is an add-on thread to the one Rosemary posted for you with the semi-buried russian box. This modification allows me to get them outside earlier in spring and keep them out later into fall:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Great info everyone, I appreciate all the input.

Oh Tom, I am digging that semi-underground box idea. Now you got me thinking of doing something similar.

Thanks again everyone.