Burrow question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
As some of you may have read, this same female vanished for three months last year. Now I know that it was practically impossible for me to have found her back then. There is something quite unique about her. She has always seemed a bit more non-domesticated than the other two. She eats more voraciously, explores much more, walks faster, is far more curious, and doesn't take any crap from the other female or male!

What is interesting about RTs, is that they seem to be much smaller when you do find them hidden. They blend in to the dirt and undergrowth so well, they really just seem to dissappear. Now I know how deep they will dig and that they close up the burrow behind them. All of the poor souls who post on TFO that they have lost their RTs, should NOT give up hope. These little torts are the masters of escape and hiding.

Dolan - The breathing question. Yeah, how do they get enough oxygen? Seriously, I stood there looking at just the top of her shell for several minutes before I pulled her out. I actually had to exert some pressure to pull her out she was so wedged in. They must have an incredibly efficient respiratory system when they hibernate, and I'll bet they somehow absorb oxygen through their entire skin surface area. I know there are some desert toads and even some fish, that dig down and enclose themselves in a moisture cocoon, until the wet season comes again. The dirt she was in was definately moist, but not at all wet. She was completely pulled into her shell, caked with that well-packed dirt, and sleeping very soundly. If I knew they would be safe and wouldn't get flooded out, I would leave all three in the enclosure for the winter.

Tom - The hanging idea was my initial angry reaction, and may have been a bit out of line. I have now lowered my punishment level for stealing one of my beloved critters to one of two choices. The perpetrator has a choice between caning, or being forced to watch 24 hours of Dr. Phil re-runs. (Me - I'd choose the caning.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'd choose the caning too, but I'm still not sure that hanging wouldn't be okay for the theft of someone's tortoise...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Yes to the caning, and your story is amazing, I liked reading it.
How do they live in such a tight space w/o oxygen? I read once that they created an air space around their head, but yours seem to have been pretty tightly wedged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.