Building All Glass Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I got the glass cut for the new enclosure for my little star tortoise today and put it together. It measures 36in by 18in by 10in,I put a 3in cap around the top. Took a few pics to show how it went together, still have some detailing to do but basically this is what it will look like.The last pic is of a couple of my helpers behaving themselves. All the pics are backwards --I don't know why--

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool...I hope you do not mind me asking :D what did it cost you for the glass and the cutting service? What is that glass rated to hold in weight?

Akronic

5 Year Member
i thought it wasnt a good idea to keep torts in all glass tanks? they dont understand invisible barriers. anyway it looks like you did a good job, i was looking into building a large aquarium(over 125gal) that way but it's just cheaper to buy a used one usually

Len B

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Very cool...I hope you do not mind me asking :D what did it cost you for the glass and the cutting service? What is that glass rated to hold in weight?
the glass was $27 for the 9 pieces cut,it is just regular glass, I wouldn't put much faith in the bottom if not supported completely.

HtVic

5 Year Member
would be perfect if you can make a video of how you processing...lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
the glass was $27 for the 9 pieces cut,it is just regular glass, I wouldn't put much faith in the bottom if not supported completely.

Is this the first masterpiece ?:D Or have you done this before? That is a fantastic cost vs. a tank....for sure ;)

Len B

10 Year Member!
ascott said:

Is this the first masterpiece ?:D Or have you done this before? That is a fantastic cost vs. a tank....for sure ;)
Masterpiece it's not,The first it is, I am surprised at how easy it went together and how sturdy it is. I got the glass from our local True Value Hardware.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Wow! That looks absolutely amazing! Its really impressive that you've assembled it. we just gave our measurements to the local aquarium to have uit done for us. It cost us rm120 which is about us 40.

I can't wait to see the final ppictures and whet stone enjoying himself in it!

Totally awesome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...more talent in that little finger...

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Len said:
I got the glass cut for the new enclosure for my little star tortoise today and put it together. It measures 36in by 18in by 10in,I put a 3in cap around the top. Took a few pics to show how it went together, still have some detailing to do but basically this is what it will look like.The last pic is of a couple of my helpers behaving themselves. All the pics are backwards --I don't know why--

I made one exactly like that quite a few years back, but I made it with thicker glass. I made it with low sides so my short:D 88 year old mom can reach in easy and it was low for her. She is still using it. Yours looks very nice and Im sure u will get years of use out of it

Len B

10 Year Member!
I put Whetstone my little star in his new home today, I may have to move things around a bit to get everything to the correct temp for him, but this is how we are starting out. There are 5 hides,2 small water bowls,several small food dishes,2 milk jug tops for mazuri,1 glazed plate for a dry area, quartz rock for climbing,two 40 watt incandescent bulbs, two different types 24inch uvb tubes, 60 watt che, 3 different sedum, clover, grass, and spine-less optunia, the substrate is homemade,i used 3 and 4 year old mixed together. He has been very busy exploring his new domain.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Amazing! where is the finished pics of whetstone enjoying the enclosure? it seems like you have so many things in there. I'm so jealous! AAAAHHH I wish my enclosure was bigger so I can put in tons more stuff too!!

Dagashi

5 Year Member
that's beautiful! very homely and yes definately can see that he's very happy with the setup. Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.