Building a new indoor enclosure

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey im building a new indoor enclosure can anyone give me a link to a build or give me any tips? I always want the best for my russian .Thanks!

MichaelNguyen7396

5 Year Member
What breed of tortoise you have? And it sizes? I would go with tables at 4' by 2' or 5' by 2' to give the tortoise some walking and exploring spaces, divide the table into 2 section, 1 section is for the tortoise walking and exploring and the other is a sleeping area or a big hide out, on top of the big hide out do a 2storage and have a stairs going up into it, this would best place to put his food and waterbowl because it give the tortoise some exercise to do. 2 hides? And some plants

5 Year Member
Ok tahnks but what do you think would be the best thing to seal the wood the one i decided to do is 3 feet by 4 feet i tried to go bigger but my mom wouldent let me ahah

5 Year Member
What kind of wood do you think would be the best for the enclosure, what is most durable and I think I might seal the inside with some vinyl floor of tile

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have three tort tables that I made out of exterior plywood. I lined them with sheet plastic. They've been in use now for three years. This year I had to replace the plastic, but the wood is holding up nicely (and I pour water on the substrate several times a week).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the beauty of being a scrap lumber hoarder. Not having to pay for my building materials, who cares how long it lasts!

12-16-13c_zps43c244e5.jpg

12-16-13b_zps5440b9ac.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any of the succulent family of plants with the exception of the Euphorbias. Just be prepared to replace them frequently. Plants don't do well indoors unless you have VERY bright light.