bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
I just poured water into Morty's substrate and all these tiny white/tan bugs came crawling out! Should I throw everything out or are they ok?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Do you have soil as part of your substrate? Likely the little soil bugs...if so they more creep us out than anything.....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are harmless. They are detrivores and eat up any old food or poops. Some people can't stand them, but they are a by-product of warmth, humidity and leftover "food".

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
i was wondering the same thing. i have them also at least they arent harmfull so thats good. i guess they can stay lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah the buggers find away in with the soil...IMHO anyways....I adopted a couple cute RFs...so that meant indoor enclosures (for years I have had torts that reside outside) so the adventure has been fun :D and the first time I noticed the bugs I was like OMG ewwwww ..so after getting past the girlie moment I researched all the likely bugger variables and came yo grips with the conclusion that the buggers are now part of life...lol...then I brought in a touch of dirt from our good ol desert and now there are a few worms in there too with the one..happy hunting little one :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have them in my box turtle enclosure, they dont seem to bother them so I leave them alone. I try to put things like pill bugs and worms in there enclosure but the chase them down and eat them...

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
OK good, after a moment I realized bugs are outside as well in their enclosures. As long as they don't sting all is well:) just gross:)

Status
Not open for further replies.