Bugs on the Babies - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettybird

5 Year Member
Hi, four of our russian babies have hatched now and they are doing really good. We have put three of them into there new enclosure so far. The forth one is still absorbing the yolk sac so it is still in the incubator. But last night I noticed there are a bunch of tiny white looking bugs in the enclosure with the babies. Mostly hanging out around the water dish. We are going to completely change out the substrate right now and wash everything off, but I was hoping to get some advice on what to do? Has anyone ever had this happen and how do we get rid of and keep these bugs out of the enclosure?
Thanks for the help!!
Deanna

superpooper

5 Year Member
do they jump when you blow air at them? when i bring in dirt from outside and wet it a lot i get a lot of springtails.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Prettybird, what type of substate are you using? Often (depending on the type of substate) you can bake it in the oven, Less the torts, and it will kill the bugs.

prettybird

5 Year Member
it's some of that coconut fiber stuff you get at the pet store and add water to and then it expands. There are a couple bugs crawling on the babies too. I've changed the substrate completely and washed all the stuff that was in there and let the babies sit in a little water for a few minutes but there was a couple bugs on a couple of their heads so I'm sure more bugs got in there again. The bugs kind of just crawl around, they don't seem to jump or anything. They mainly hang around the water dish it seems. I read in a tortoise book that they might be mites (the kind that does not suck blood I guess) and that i can get rid of them by changing the substrate every day for about a week to get rid of any new bugs that hatch and lay eggs. Does this sound good to you? Also, is it safe to use the mite spray that they sell at the pet store on the babies?
Also, another question on substrate. What kind do you recommend for the babies? We were thinking on using some dirt mixed with something. Does it work to mix dirt with any kind of bark dust or sand or something like that? We are looking for a less expensive way to get substrate.
Thanks!
Deanna

Crazy1 said:
Prettybird, what type of substate are you using? Often (depending on the type of substate) you can bake it in the oven, Less the torts, and it will kill the bugs.

superpooper

5 Year Member
are they long and move fast or short, round, and slow moving? if theyre long theyre probably just soil lice attracted by the moisture. i have them in my enclosure, but they add to the natural ecology in the tank, breaking down my tortoise's waste. they come and go with moisture and food, likely nothing to worry about. i say the more natural soil and harmless bugs the better.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know some people do not mind harmless bugs in their homes others do. So for those that do and to answer your question Yes you can mix dirt with sand a 50/50 or 70/30 mixture will work or you can use the coconut fiber and sand mixture, a pure coconut fiber substate would be far too dusty. If your babies are very young you can place them on Paper towels for a time as their substrate or use the turtle/tortoise carpet. This can be washed with just water every so often to help keep it clean. I moved my hatchlings to coconut fiber an sand 50/50 mix about 2 weeks ago.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
I know some people do not mind harmless bugs in their homes others do. So for those that do and to answer your question Yes you can mix dirt with sand a 50/50 or 70/30 mixture will work or you can use the coconut fiber and sand mixture, a pure coconut fiber substate would be far too dusty. If your babies are very young you can place them on Paper towels for a time as their substrate or use the turtle/tortoise carpet. This can be washed with just water every so often to help keep it clean. I moved my hatchlings to coconut fiber an sand 50/50 mix about 2 weeks ago.

Robyn
Did you buy regular play sand (the one they sell at home depot)?
Do you spray the substrate often?

prettybird

5 Year Member
I think the bugs are kind of short and round, but not too slow moving. How much humidity do the babies need to have? How old are your hatchlings when you move them to the 50/50 substrate mix? Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have Greeks and it was my preference to place them on the coconut fiber /regular play sand (from Home depot) when they are about 4 months. You can do it earlier. Generally I leave my hatchlings in the incubator until they have absorbed all the yolk sack. Then I move them to paper towels for about 2 weeks or so. Easier for me to see when they do the first poo and pee, Then to the turtle carpet. (I feel it gives them better traction than the paper towels. Then to the 50/50 mixture during the winter months. I move there entire enclosure outside during the summer so it was just easier for me to use Turtle carpet which weighed less. But understand the carpet and paper towel is much harder to keep the humidity up during this time I keep a humidifier going in their room but that only keeps them at about 40%. I keep the humidity in the enclosure at 40 dry end and 70 wet end when they are on 50/50 mix. The hatchlings seem to roam between the two. But they burrow in the dryer end at night.
Now I had a couple of hatchlings I placed on Topsoil and sand mix at about 2 weeks old and they did fine.
You really have to experiment and find what works for you. I have other older torts on Aspen now and they are doing fine. During the summer months all my torts over a few weeks old go outside. I have hatchling pens as well as adult pens.

Isa, yes I use childs play sand from home depot or lowes it is clean sand. I pour water into the substrate. The heat lamps dry the top layer so the humidity comes from under the top layer. I also have Sphagnum moss in one corner I keep damp by misting.

Status
Not open for further replies.